Bacigalupi

Tinfoilphono

18 hours ago, Tinfoilphono said:

That reminded me to dig out a memorable photo, taken when Mark brought his Edison Standard with Polyphone attachment to my house to compare with my own. (Mine is on the left.)

pair.thumb.jpg.dd4b57e95ef9372c2033a17b91cb0d92.jpg

I doubt two Bacigalupi-marketed Polyphones have been together like this since before the 1906 earthquake.

Wow! One alone is spectacular, but 2? Polytacular?

Sadly this is my only Bacigalupi item. A long list of movies purchased by a Dr. Henry Bach at 1898.  Hand signed

DSC_0051.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2020 at 1:07 PM, Tinfoilphono said:

That reminded me to dig out a memorable photo, taken when Mark brought his Edison Standard with Polyphone attachment to my house to compare with my own. (Mine is on the left.)

pair.thumb.jpg.dd4b57e95ef9372c2033a17b91cb0d92.jpg

I doubt two Bacigalupi-marketed Polyphones have been together like this since before the 1906 earthquake.

Was he the only distributer for the polyphone  attachment or was that attachment available from others.    Nice four latch phonographs.    ??? Tom

7 hours ago, tomb said:

Was he the only distributer for the polyphone  attachment or was that attachment available from others.    Nice four latch phonographs.    ??? Tom

The Polyphone Attachments were developed and wholesaled/retailed through the Talking Machine Company of Chicago (not to be confused with the earlier Chicago Talking Machine Company).  Many dealers offered them.

George P.

8 hours ago, KinetoGuy said:

Here are some Bacigalupi items I have....

Those mid-1890s letters to Enoch Rector are spectacular!  Thanks for posting them - -

George P.

Now if I were to own  both of those Polyphone square tops, I'd have to keep them both just because of the variation of the decals.  Drives my Frau crazy.?

Edited by Valecnik

Here is another letter which is from Tilden to Rechtor and references Bacigalupi.....I also included a letter of interest relating to special cameras made for the Corbett-Fitzsimmons bout in Nevada and a signed cabinet card of the man who started it all with the moving pictures......William Kennedy Laurie Dickson.....

IMG_1386.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

• Like 1

He would have been around 29 years old.

He was born in 1860.

The photo was part of an album of photos of Edison employees who worked at the 1889 Paris Expo.

Grammophon
On 7/5/2020 at 6:22 AM, KinetoGuy said:

Here are some Bacigalupi items I have.....

I remember very well when those letters were offered on ebay 10 years ago. From the beginning I was focussed on one of them and was very lucky to get it: the handwritten letter from Bacigalupi to Rector dated July 10, 1896 with the immortal remark: "Have you seen the Lumiere Cinematograph at Keith's Theatre - is it good, can you get it for me?" A great exhibit in the history of film. The Cinematograph's American premiere at Keith's Union Square Theatre in New York City was only shortly before on June 29, 1896. 

Tinfoilphono

Enoch Rector, the recipient of all those wonderful letters, went on to make, patent, and market a small $3.50 phonograph in late 1905-1906. It was something less than a resounding success and the inventory was ultimately liquidated for premium awards.

rectorphone-sm.jpg.dcb2c3abfa1485608f24e1edb3cb3c44.jpg

ad.thumb.png.b97c4a6e3a3699de05bb07bf4835dc37.png

• Like 1

Here's a nice little shipping box meant to hold twelve cylinders. The address reads simply "Shilly Rickles, Del Monte, Ca" Del Monte was a town in Monterey County, now a part of the City of Monterey according to Wikipedia. Love the prices of the machines!

Dan

bacbox.jpg

• Like 2

This thread must surely represent the most comprehensive overview of Bacigalupi artifacts ever assembled!  If no one shows a Bacigalupi stencil on the underside of an Edison cabinet, I'll be forced to scan an image from one of our books...

Thanks for all the wonderful images.

George P.

• Like 1

That's a great metal tag, Stan!  I suspect the machine is a Type A due to the decal, which was discontinued around August 1897 (see "Cylinder Graphophone Banner Decals: Chronology and Variations" in the September 2016 issue of The Antique Phonograph, p.24.  This decal is a Type 3.).  These metal tags couldn't have been used for long.  Thanks for posting this!

George P.

AudioAntique

Here is a 1909 correspondence letter. Some of you may have seen it in Nipper Collectibles Vol. II.  The letterhead graphic is similar to that of a previously posted record sleeve, but has a different address and phone number.

Rob

1516889148_BacigalupiLetterhead-1909-1-LR.thumb.jpg.3954d03d616b60d5fefdbe3ff82b547a.jpg

Bacigalupi Letterhead-1909 - 2-LR.jpg

Edited by AudioAntique

• 6 months later...

I was rummaging through some phonographic paper looking for something else when I ran across this Bacigalupi folding post card.  At first glance, it looks identical to those shown on the first page of this thread, but the rubber stamp on this one omits an address present on page 1. 

Anyway, in the interests of comprehensiveness, here it is...

George P.

Bacigalupi001.thumb.jpg.f9cfc2aa5255fd0ff9a0955fa3a03dad.jpg

• Like 3

That's a very striking image of San Francisco's  devastion caused by the earthquake's ensuing fires! It's difficult to imagine being subjected to that much destruction.

• 8 months later...

Hello 

I purchased some old Stereoview cards...most are common ones by B.W.Kilburn however one particular unusually decorative  & brightly colored stereoview card stood out from the rest. On the back of this card was a curious red stamp : EDISON AGENCY Peter Bacigalupi San Francisco. An online search led me to this really interesting article and forum. Now I am curious to find out if this stereo card may actually be from one of his 'DROP CARD ARCADE MACHINES' ... otherwise ...some promotional item Bacigalupi did to raise his business' profile...seems like Peter was quite the entrepreneur!   

Hopefully someone can let me know?

Thanks very much...Leon (Sydney, Australia) 

BACK of Peter B Sereoview Card.jpg

Peter Baccigalipi Stereoview Card.jpg

It's likely that this stereo card was sold by Bacigalupi, but not used in an arcade machine.  It's one slide of a set, and features a fancy embossed face.  Nice!

George P.