Bacigalupi

Tinfoilphono

What an interesting find! I've never seen such a stamped stereoview.

The stereoviews I have that have an open 'window' on the back side are lined with tissue backing that covers hand-painted coloring. They were meant to be held up to the light to reveal the color and enhance the image. Is this such a card? 

I am not aware of any arcade machines that may have been fitted with rear lighting to use such special cards, but it's not impossible. It would have made for a very striking presentation.

19 hours ago, Tinfoilphono said:

What an interesting find! I've never seen such a stamped stereoview.

The stereoviews I have that have an open 'window' on the back side are lined with tissue backing that covers hand-painted coloring. They were meant to be held up to the light to reveal the color and enhance the image. Is this such a card? 

I am not aware of any arcade machines that may have been fitted with rear lighting to use such special cards, but it's not impossible. It would have made for a very striking presentation.

Thankyou for your response ...this one also has open windows but the image is printed on board...so if not used in an arcade machine then he must have sold his own range of stereoview cards .in his stores. Thanks again 

• 4 months later...
Tinfoilphono

Here's a surprising news story published in the Feb. 16, 1907 issue of the San Francisco Call.

SFCall-2-16-07.thumb.png.58aab3ff1f37fd42c010ecb1ed4f138f.png

How interesting! Rosendo (not Rasendo) Uruchurtu was one of the local artists that Charles Lummis recorded for the Southwest Museum in Los Angeles (now incorporated with the Autry Museum of the American West. A project that involved digitally transferring the Lummis collection was sponsored by the California Antique Phonograph Society.

Rosendo was indeed blind but not limited in any way. A wonderful guitar player, singer and accompanist he played not only on the streets and theaters of Los Angeles, but on various theater circuits in the Southwest and Midwest. Curiously he was performing in Chicago as part of a duet act. More digging would need to confirm that Bacigalupi's son was his partner. The both attended the California Institution for the Deaf and Blind in Oakland, California

Tinfoilphono

Thanks for that fascinating detail, Dan. I wish I knew more about this odd story. Obviously the SF Call took umbrage at Bacigalupi senior's callousness toward his son (but not daughters). 

I too find these obscure historical connections interesting.  What an intricate web is humanity...

I first experienced this back in the early 1980s when reading a biography of Edison titled, A Streak of Luck, by Robert Conot.  In it, Edison's interactions with Thomas Eckert (vice president and general manager of Western Union) were outlined.  I kept thinking, "How do I know that name?"  Eventually it hit me, and I dug out a book I had received when I was eighteen.  That book (Twenty Days, by Dorothy M. Kunhardt and Phillip R. Kunhardt Jr.) describes in detail the events leading up to Lincoln's assassination and the 20 days following.  In it, I had learned that Eckert, a personal friend of Lincoln's, had been scheduled to attend the theater with him on April 14, 1865, but was unable to attend.  A strong, powerful man, Eckert's presence in Lincoln's booth that night might have altered history.  And here he was, a few years later, impacting Edison's activities. 

Thanks for another interesting connection, Dan!

George P.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently, this "right hand in coat" gesture is a Masonic sign.  

I have a picture of my grand-uncle with the same pose/gesture and he was a Royal Arch Mason and member of the Knights Templar in Detroit in the early 1900s.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 8.23.35 AM.png

On 4/28/2022 at 8:27 AM, CurtA said:

Apparently, this "right hand in coat" gesture is a Masonic sign.  

I have a picture of my grand-uncle with the same pose/gesture and he was a Royal Arch Mason and member of the Knights Templar in Detroit in the early 1900s.

Screen Shot 2022-04-28 at 8.23.35 AM.png

Was Napoleon a Mason?

GettyImages-593278682-scaled-e1644343729311.jpg

• 1 year later...