Help identifying gramophone (Vesper?)

WildBill

Hi, I have searched online but have found nothing regarding this player. My parents bought it at an auction many years ago, so we know nothing about it. I've attached a few pictures. The name is Vesper. Made by Waring & Gillow at their Lancaster factory. Numbered 75513.  I'd be very grateful if anyone can help tell me anything about it. Thanks so much. Bill

Vesper1.jpg

Vesper3.jpg

Vesper4.jpg

Vesper5.jpg

Vesper6.jpg

Vesper2.jpg

Edited by WildBill

• WildBill changed the title to Help identifying gramophone (Vesper?)

What do you want to know about this?  The tag tells you everything.  It is a table top phonograph made by an upscale London Department Store - Waring & Gillow on Oxford Street in London (a quick search for Waring & Gillow brings up many references to their high end furniture).  It was made during the early part of the 20th century during the heyday of phonographs, made by thousands of known and unknown manufacturers, until the widespread use of radios made them obsolete.

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 7.42.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 7.43.36 PM.png

• 5 months later...
CrackedWormgear

Unfortunately I do not come to this forum very often. So I just discovered this thread on the Vesper gramophone.

Wild Bill if you do come back & check in your Vesper is a very unique gramophone. The tone arm & soundbox were provided by Henry Seymour. Mr. Seymour was well known pioneer of gramophone & phonograph accessories. His components were incorporated into the earliest EMG gramophones. Your Vesper has a Seymour tone arm and sound box. The tone arm also has a spring operated weight adjustment. If you look into the archive catalog section of this website you will find a Seymour catalogue circa 1920 listing of his offerings. 

But unfortunately you most likely won’t be back here.☹️