CHRISTOPHER PROUDFOOT ARTICLE IN SEPTEMBER ISSUE OF TAP (THE ANTIQUE PHONOGRAPH)

Analogous

Even creationists would have to admit that the early history of the phonograph in the UK is a startling example of divergent evolution with many British manufacturers bound and determined to develop their own designs and technologies.

In this month's issue of TAP, Christopher Proudfoot describes examples of this divergence.  It's a great article.

Christopher is royalty in the UK world of phonograph and gramophone collectors.  Thinking some Forum readers might not know him, I asked for some background.  Here is his reply:

I was at Christie’s from 1970 to 2001, and added the sale of Talking Machines to the existing Musical Box sales with a modest Edison Standard in 1972.  The sales expanded when the department moved to South Kensington in 1975, and the high point was the sale of the EMI collection in 1980. Collecting Phonographs and Gramophones was published in that year, and Woodworking Tools, written with Philip Walker, followed in 1984.  His Master’s Gramophone, with Brian Oakley, was published in 2011.

I am not currently Chairman of anything (apart from the Friends of Fawkham Church, which is hardly relevant!), but I am a past-President of the Musical Box Society and a past-Chairman and current Vice-President of the Tools & Trades History Society, as well as its current Editor.  Yes, I also have an interest in old lawnmowers, but have managed to avoid being anything more than a committee member of the Old Lawnmower Club.  (When they needed an Editor, I put my son up!)  You know my position in the CLPGS, of course, and I was for some years Chairman of that – can’t remember the exact dates without looking them up, but late 1970s – early 1980s. I was certainly in the chair for the 1977 celebrations.  I have been President since the end of 2005, and Editor since Autumn 2007.

Enjoy the article!

John

IMG_3848.thumb.JPG.2301240c8567c77f5109f49781040deb.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He also responded to an email a while back when I was trying to purchase a copy of the book His Master's Gramophone. It was as I recall a very pleasant exchange and oh that book. Just wonderful to own it. Neil

• 7 months later...
BassetHoundTrio

I also very much enjoyed that article, being a fan of the EMG and Expert gramophones. During his years at Christie's Mr. Proudfoot certainly saw a number of them. I first heard my friend Gary's EMG Mark Xa in 2012, and I drove halfway across the US to purchase a Mark IX in 2017; two and a half years later, also acquired a Xb Oversize. I am trying to recall the number of EMG and Expert machines are on this side of the pond. (I am near Chicago.) Here are the other ones I know of:

EMG Xb Oversize - Gary Stucka (Illinois)

EMG Xa - James Haugland (Illinois)

EMG Xb Oversize - Louis Waldman (Texas)

EMG Mark IX - Pete Townsend (Arizona)

EMG Xb - Brett Hurt (South Carolina)

Expert Junior - Robert Harrison (Colorado)

Expert Junior - Don Mayer (Victoria, BC) Don also knows of an EMG 10b Export model, on Galiano Island.

The San Francisco Bay area may have still at least 5 in the area, at least one EMG oversized and one Ginn Senior. I wish I knew who had them. Anyone know of others?

• 6 months later...

Hello! Thanks for introducing Mr Proudfoot . Is there a way that you share the article without compromising on the intellectual property rights of the author ? 
regards

sheraz 

5 hours ago, Sheraz said:

Hello! Thanks for introducing Mr Proudfoot . Is there a way that you share the article without compromising on the intellectual property rights of the author ? 
regards

sheraz 

Members of the Antique Phonograph Society have online searchable access to all back issues of the magazine.

• Like 1