Triumphal Addiction

Valecnik

I found this model B Triumph several years ago.  It's in great cosmetic and mechanical condition.  Later I found a straight 12 panel Triumph horn for it but for occasional Livingroom display purposes this horn is much better.  It's a bit shorter.  Regarding the reference to addiction, well this is one of four Model B Triumphs I own in various configurations.  I won't even get into the A, D, D2 & E models that are also among my favorites.  🙂

CA977106-9A6D-4849-8796-BB1409BE5004.jpeg

Edited by Valecnik
add text
  • Like 7

1393625016_SuchySons.thumb.JPG.858b3898d28436d8c9311ad2c0d999f5.JPG

12 hours ago, Analogous said:

..and the regulator on the wall ain't too bad either!

Well a little off topic but you've touched on another of my favorite toys.  It's a "Carl Suchy and Sons" piece about 1860s.  Suchy was the most prominent clock maker in the region from the 1820s, tight with the Austro-Hungarian Emperor back in the day.  He became "Suchy & Sons" when he brought his son into the business in the 1840s.  The clocks were first made in Prague but then eventually expanded to Vienna.

In the first pic you'll see his Prague factory.  He employed about 40 people in Prague back in the day so these clocks do still turn up.  You'll notice the text is mostly German, not Czech.  German was the official language in the Empire.  Speaking Czech was discouraged before the empire collapsed in 1918.

IMG_0029.jpg

Edited by Valecnik
reorder pics
  • Like 1

That's a beautiful timepiece, so - to continue the digression - here is mine (similarly grouped with a cool machine).  It's a Brillie electromagnetic clock, based on a ca. 1910 (?) technology to keep the French rail system on time by synchronizing every station's clock.  This later model for the home is more stylish, but the core mechanism is the same. The pendulum has a 1/2 second swing, receiving a momentary magnetic pulse every second.

I love the skeletonized mechanism and the fact that the short pendulum counts seconds.  But the best part is the clock's performance.  It has been running on the same D battery for over four years!  Plus, because the mechanism only counts (does no work) there are minimal friction effects.  The clock is accurate to about 2 seconds/day.

John

PS - The Bettini was sold by Hugens y Acosta in Madrid hence the candy swirl horn.

IMG_0136.thumb.jpg.5818fe5a470927b4d9eec9b2487e0d13.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Mainspring said:

I am rather fond of my Triumph B as well, especially with the #11 Cygnet horn. It presents as quite the spectacle. I wish I had a picture handy.

Yes a cygnet fitting turns the B model into quite a different looking, I think impressive, not to mention excellent running, sounding machine.  One of my other B models fitted as yours is Mainspring.  🙂

115edited.jpg

Well, if we're going to picture Triumphs, here's a shot of a Model A with a green Tea Tray Horn facing a Model B with a wooden Cygnet.

George P.

Triumphs.thumb.JPG.b459ecc5607459db8e812d5790642410.JPG

Oh Tea Tray horn looks really fantastic George, as does the Model B!

Admittedly I was looking for an excuse to share another Triumph so here it is.  This Model A is permitted in the living room from time to time for a very limited duration.  Even when you know it's there, it's amazing how easy it is to walk right into it when passing between the dinning room table in the foreground  and that huge horn.  

Capture.JPG

Well If we're showing off Triumphs, this is my latest Triumph, Model B, #10 Cygnet horn and D repeater.

Record in front is a Vulcan reproduction Edison Advertising Record

567838532_triumpb..thumb.jpg.3df3495c4531cd335056f49df38329ad.jpg

Chuck

18 hours ago, chucka said:

Well If we're showing off Triumphs, this is my latest Triumph, Model B, #10 Cygnet horn and D repeater.

Record in front is a Vulcan reproduction Edison Advertising Record

567838532_triumpb..thumb.jpg.3df3495c4531cd335056f49df38329ad.jpg

Chuck

I think I saw that one posted on Facebook?  Really nice example indeed Chuck.

There's nothing quite like a Model A Triumph with a large all-brass horn and floor stand.  Thanks for the nice image, Bruce!

Chuck, your nice Model B with repeater made me realize what a crappy image I posted earlier.  I apologize for being lazy and using an old photo from my files.  I just went upstairs and shot better images of mine for this Forum!

George P.

TriumphBb.thumb.JPG.b68b84830155908d775413561e9b275f.JPG

TriumphBa.thumb.JPG.925fe2b4f53009a49f3170274f19b8dd.JPG

3 hours ago, phonogfp said:

There's nothing quite like a Model A Triumph with a large all-brass horn and floor stand.  Thanks for the nice image, Bruce!

Chuck, your nice Model B with repeater made me realize what a crappy image I posted earlier.  I apologize for being lazy and using an old photo from my files.  I just went upstairs and shot better images of mine for this Forum!

George P.

Yes, much better picture there George.  Your earlier photo really didn't do it justice.  Stunning piece. And another repeater!

Finally got around to taking a picture of my Triumph B. There is nothing special about her but the bedplate was just shy of a disaster when I got her so I deep cleaned it and re-striped. I did get a nice big recording horn along with the #11 Cygnet though. I apologize in advance for the clutter but you folks know how that goes.

IMG_0358.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2021 at 2:06 PM, phonogfp said:

George P.

Beautiful Triumph!  (When did  the script decal replace the banner decal on model As?)

2 hours ago, Schlick said:

Beautiful Triumph!  (When did  the script decal replace the banner decal on model As?)

Thanks.  Model A Gems, Standards, Homes, and Triumphs always had banner decals.  The early Model Bs also had banner decals.  The script decals appeared in the summer of 1906.

George P.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally dug out some photos of my own Triumph, so I figured I'd share them! Nothing too special, just a Model A, though the D repeater is a nice touch. These really are wonderful machines, and this is probably the favorite piece in my collection. Mine is equipped with a H&S Crystal finish horn.

One of these days, I need to pick up a nice 2/4 minute Triumph!

IMG_20190211_180515.jpg

IMG_20190211_181032.jpg

• Like 3

WOW - we finally hear from the reclusive Mr. Ostrye!  😀

In my world, a Model A Triumph with a repeating attachment is "special."  And you're killing me with that horn!

George P.