New Edison

B-450

Neilvanstem

"high class" rare and great but just reminds me that we need an intermediate forum for folks like me. Roaming about here I get feelings of low self esteem. I have about 100 machines and have others I gave to young collectors or sold but do not have the items displayed here or else where on the forum. Nice to see but I feel I have nothing to contribute after seeing all the really rare things and videos that look like they were made by professionals! ha ha I'll keep looking to see if I find anything I can say I have one of those! Maybe my little Kodak camera can find a place here to show my lowly machines (common). lol as they say

2 hours ago, Neilvanstem said:

"high class" rare and great but just reminds me that we need an intermediate forum for folks like me. Roaming about here I get feelings of low self esteem. I have about 100 machines and have others I gave to young collectors or sold but do not have the items displayed here or else where on the forum. Nice to see but I feel I have nothing to contribute after seeing all the really rare things and videos that look like they were made by professionals! ha ha I'll keep looking to see if I find anything I can say I have one of those! Maybe my little Kodak camera can find a place here to show my lowly machines (common). lol as they say

I think a good way to get what you call intermediate stuff here is to post some of your favorites. It is not a popularity contest and I know for me I like seeing any phonograph and hear why it means so much to someone. You have just as much to offer as anyone else here. Post some pictures! It will be fun.

• Like 3

Tinfoilphono

What Melvind said. Collecting is not competition. We're all in it because we enjoy it. It's that simple. I love some of my most common and modest machines (Graphophone "Eagle" for example) as much as my rarest. Personally, I'm far more interested in the history of a piece than its rarity. And that history is often personal.

• Like 3

PatheLogical

Neil, you remind me of a very enthusiastic collector friend I know who owns and enjoys a Victor Poole Flat-top VTLA, a rigid-arm Victor, an Edison Amberola 1-A, an Edison Triumph with a Music Master horn, a mahogany bulged Sonora Elite, a Zon-o-phone,  a Grand Piano shaped phonograph, among  dozens of other wonderful machines (some rare, some common), hundreds of records, and many other wonderful related items.   For some reason, at times, my friend feels like his collection is inadequate and doesn't compare with that of others.  

Even though I've been at this for about 35 years and currently have well over 100 machines, I have never owned any of the very desirable machines I mentioned my collector friend has --- but I would sure like to!!!   As previously mentioned, collecting shouldn't be seen as a competition or popularity contest.   Some of us have things in our collections others may have only seen in books.   Some of us also have things we really like, but some others wouldn't want in there collections (whether due to taste, collecting goals, space limitations, spousal objections, etc).   We all have what we have because we enjoy this stuff!

I'm sure you have a lot of insight and knowledge about the items in your collection you can share with others !   Pick out one of the things in your vast collection you really enjoy, create a post here about it and get a discussion going!   This is how we all learn --- from each other.

If I had to divest myself of my entire collection, but could keep just one machine --- I would keep my Edison Gem model C with 2 & 4 minute attachment and eight-panel black horn.   This may not be the rarest or most desirable machine I own, but I really like it.    I know  some others would question my choice and not understand my decision.   That's fine with me --- I like what I like, I collect what I like to collect.

BTW Roy, beautiful B-450 --- Thanks for taking the time to share this with the rest of us!

• Like 1

Neilvanstem

I have a phonograph that would move a lot too and solved without trying. It is on a carpet so does not move. Now I have others on floors not carpeted and always moving. Drives me nuts! I would take your machine with or without casters.... of course! Great looking it is. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 11:23 AM, Neilvanstem said:

I understand what you're saying Neil. I think I thought similarly at some point, but after having shown non-collectors what I collect, I think I've come to appreciate how historically significant and special every machine is. 100 machines is a lot, and you would be surprised by how much knowledge you may have that other big collectors might not. I'm most interested in obscure 3rd party products that relate to Edison phonographs, a niche subject that the majority of collectors don't know a ton about. even though my collection is much smaller, I'm able to contribute and share the knowledge that I've picked up over time, anyone can do it.

Martin

• Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 2:09 PM, Martin_P said:

... but after having shown non-collectors what I collect, I think I've come to appreciate how historically significant and special every machine is.

Yeah, showing your collection to the general population is an interesting experience. In their eyes the machines are either all fantastic or they can't be bothered to look or understand. I like doing machine demos, if only for the one person who gets it. It does make you appreciate your own collection even more.

David

On 6/11/2020 at 11:23 AM, Neilvanstem said:

Please don’t ever think your machines are “lowly”.  I have Edison Gems, Standards and Homes. Columbia Eagles and Qs and Victrola IVs These are not “Lowly” machines, they are the machines that were affordable to the masses. They are all fabulous machines in their own right. They all have their place in history and in our hearts. Yes, there are some rare machines posted here but that does not diminish the value of the more commonly seen machines. Please don’t feel your machines are any less worthy of posting or discussion here. 
Roy

• Like 1