New Edison

B-450

What a stunningly beautiful machine! I absolutely love the grille and the fancy woodwork in general. The book-matched veneer is amazing. How did they do the lower front door? Is that just wood grain or is that inlay?

Thanks for sharing!

Andreas

• Like 1

Andreas, 

There are four identical pieces of veneer matched to form the design. The cabinet is beautifully made, the details are amazing. 
Roy 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Garret said:

Wow! Where did you find that photo? ?

I don't remember where it came from.  Found it on internet somewhere at some point.  I try to download and save the interesting ones when I can.

Great photo! It’s a little hard to see but I’m pretty sure that’s an A-450. The detail in the legs is a little different than the B-450

Just now, B-450 said:

Great photo! It’s a little hard to see but I’m pretty sure that’s an A-450. The detail in the legs is a little different than the B-450

Yes isn't the tag on the left front side on yours Roy?

Not sure about the differences on the legs.  Will have to look at that more carefully.

3 minutes ago, Valecnik said:

Yes isn't the tag on the left front side on yours Roy?

Not sure about the differences on the legs.  Will have to look at that more carefully.

Yes, Bruce, the tag is on the left front. 

The capitals and pediments of the legs have more carvings on the B series. They are smooth in the À series. The A series has Longer and more ornate reeding in the flutes at the bottom of the legs. These are minor differences but it helps distinguish the two in a photo (if that even really matters except to those of us who geek out Over details ?)

Roy

7 minutes ago, B-450 said:

Yes, Bruce, the tag is on the left front. 

The capitals and pediments of the legs have more carvings on the B series. They are smooth in the À series. The A series has Longer and more ornate reeding in the flutes at the bottom of the legs. These are minor differences but it helps distinguish the two in a photo (if that even really matters except to those of us who geek out Over details ?)

Roy

From one detail geek to another, you are right about the ornamentation.  I just did a quick comparison.  The B is a little more heavily more decorated.  Also I see no casters on the B.  It never had them?  As with the A-150, Amberola III, they came both ways?

Edited by Valecnik

Just now, Valecnik said:

From one detail geek to another, you are right about the ornamentation.  I just did a quick comparison.  The B is a little more heavily more decorated.  Also I see no casters on the B.  It never had them?  As with the A-150, Amberola III, they came both ways?

This originally had casters but they were badly damaged so I reproduced the brass caster sleeve and threaded the inside. I screwed elevator bolts (like a carriage bolt but with a large, completely flat head) into the sleeves so now the phonograph is stable and I can level it easily. I made no changes to the phonograph itself so an original set of casters could be installed without any trouble. The original casters are amazingly small and fragile for a phonograph of this size and weight. 

2 minutes ago, B-450 said:

This originally had casters but they were badly damaged so I reproduced the brass caster sleeve and threaded the inside. I screwed elevator bolts (like a carriage bolt but with a large, completely flat head) into the sleeves so now the phonograph is stable and I can level it easily. I made no changes to the phonograph itself so an original set of casters could be installed without any trouble. The original casters are amazingly small and fragile for a phonograph of this size and weight. 

Yes, I agree about the casters.  Mine has them and they are in pretty good shape.  They are brass so no flat sides to deal with like the feltoids. Still they are WAY too small and those legs way too delicate to move the machine even a couple inches one way or the other using the casters, even with no records.  I can't imagine trying to move it with a cabinet full of Diamond Discs.

Edited by Valecnik

36 minutes ago, Valecnik said:

Yes, I agree about the casters.  Mine has them and they are in pretty good shape.  They are brass so no flat sides to deal with like the feltoids. Still they are WAY too small and those legs way too delicate to move the machine even a couple inches one way or the other using the casters, even with no records.  I can't imagine trying to move it with a cabinet full of Diamond Discs.

That’s exactly why I decided to make flat feet. I can pull the drawer out without the phonograph wiggling or rolling. When I crank the motor, it doesn’t move either. Interestingly, this phonograph had an automatic winder for a long time. There was a triangular witness mark under the crank hole where the finish was perfect. 
James Hart (jokingly) brags that his B-450 is taller than mine because his still has casters. His phonograph is serial number 25, mine is 26

Edited by B-450
Correct spelling

29 minutes ago, B-450 said:

That’s exactly why I decided to make flat feet. I can pull the drawer out without the phonograph wiggling or rolling. When I crank the motor, it doesn’t move either. Interestingly, this phonograph had an automatic winder for a long time. There was a triangular witness mark under the crank hole where the finish was perfect. 
James Hart (jokingly) brags that his B-450 is taller than mine because his still has casters. His phonograph is serial number 25, mine is 26

25 & 26!  That's another interesting thing about many of  the B series models.  The started, (presumably) with no. 1.  On the other hand many of the A models, even the rarest have 4 digit serial nos.

Yea mine is all over the place when I wind it if you don't hold it in place with one hand.