Welcome to the Antique Phonograph Society Forum!

Auxetophone

34 minutes ago, Neilvanstem said:

It is nice but seeing so many machines and items I can never hope to attain and in comparison to my collection leaves me thinking I don't belong. I love APS and this site is pleasing to the eye but wondering where the intermediate forum is? ha ha For lowly collectors like me having 100 or more machines but just nothing like I see around here. I guess I have a case of low self esteem. Great job here though. Love it and I will be back and 'get over it' as some might say. Thanks for all the work. Even the videos are nothing like my little Kodak camera can produce. The ones I've seen seem professionally done. So again I start comparing. "This too shall pass" as my friends say often.

Welcome Neil!

I'm sure the intent is that all are welcome here whether your collection consists of one pot metal Silvertone with a broken leg or dozens of Tinfoils, Class Ms' & Betinnis and everything in between.  Have fun!

Auxetophone
16 minutes ago, Valecnik said:

Welcome Neil!

I'm sure the intent is that all are welcome here whether your collection consists of one pot metal Silvertone with a broken leg or dozens of Tinfoils, Class Ms' & Betinnis and everything in between.  Have fun!

Indeed, we all started at the beginning! I think most of us can appreciate anything from a Victrola IV to a Louis XV. No need to feel inadequate, that is not what we are here for. If you enjoy antique phonographs of any rarity or value, you belong!

I think you are probably seeing a lot of higher value stuff here right now because we are just getting started and many of the members who participated in the beta test of the site have been collecting for a very long time. Start some new topics, please!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neilvanstem said:

It is nice but seeing so many machines and items I can never hope to attain and in comparison to my collection leaves me thinking I don't belong.

Neil-

Welcome to the new APS Forum.  Having 100+ phonographs in your collection tells me that you do belong here.  I saw on one of the Facebook pages that you just received a very nice Columbia rear mount with a beautiful wood horn from Jerry Blais yesterday.  Great looking machine!!  Please post a photo here as well.  I'm sure everyone on the Forum will be quite impressed with your recent acquisition.

Mark

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neilvanstem said:

It is nice but seeing so many machines and items I can never hope to attain and in comparison to my collection leaves me thinking I don't belong. I love APS and this site is pleasing to the eye but wondering where the intermediate forum is? ha ha For lowly collectors like me having 100 or more machines but just nothing like I see around here. I guess I have a case of low self esteem. Great job here though. Love it and I will be back and 'get over it' as some might say. Thanks for all the work. Even the videos are nothing like my little Kodak camera can produce. The ones I've seen seem professionally done. So again I start comparing. "This too shall pass" as my friends say often.

Neil, not to worry. I only have about 40 pretty ordinary machines but what matters is if you enjoy them. Nice thing about this place is that everything is divided up so you can only look at what you want or need to.

Neilvanstem
20 hours ago, Phonomark said:

Neil-

Welcome to the new APS Forum.  Having 100+ phonographs in your collection tells me that you do belong here.  I saw on one of the Facebook pages that you just received a very nice Columbia rear mount with a beautiful wood horn from Jerry Blais yesterday.  Great looking machine!!  Please post a photo here as well.  I'm sure everyone on the Forum will be quite impressed with your recent acquisition.

Mark

It was not me that bought anything from Jerry Blais but that does sound like a nice machine!

39 minutes ago, Neilvanstem said:

It was not me that bought anything from Jerry Blais but that does sound like a nice machine!

Opps, my mistake Neil.  Sorry.  But please consider sharing posts and photos of your phonograph interests.  All are welcome.

Percy_Dovetonsils

Neil, I only have 10 machines, of which... wait for it... THREE are outside horn windups. While I have had hundreds, I usually buy basket cases to restore and then I move them on.

I'm basically a record collector at heart, and I keep machines around that I use frequently and enjoy listening to. 

Thus, the core collection is early changers... a few completed, more in progress: Victrola 10-50 in a 9-55 cabinet, Victrola 10-35, RAE-84, and Victor 331 Duo... thus I have a Victor Type 1, 2, 3 and 4 changer (which dovetails nicely with my classic VW hobby, LOL. Rene will get it!). Others are a Capehart 111, a legless Brunswick Automatic Panatrope, and a c.1937 Stromberg- Carlson console. We also have a giant 1958 Telefunken MCM stereo console.

Windups are a Zonophone Oxford with a woodgrain horn (likely going to a friend) an HMV No. 32, and (hopefully soon) a Euro outside horn machine that I am trying to scrape the dough together for so I am not wanting to curse it by naming it. This machine looks exactly like the machine my grandparents had in their attic when I was a child- that machine started me on this journey way back in the early 1960s! This machine I am Jonesing is the only other one I have ever seen like it. We'll see what happens.

So, whilst I am likely odd man out with no machine museum, I probably have more records than most... so there. Oh, and a theme song, written for me personally by Beck:

Edited by Percy_Dovetonsils

Neilvanstem

"Type tags separated by commas." Well I chose a title for an entry and next came this. What does it mean? What are tags? So must await a reply before I can move forward with an entry. Help!!!

Neilvanstem

Well made my post about the VTLA with photos and commented all over the place. So not so bad. lol Some very interesting posts too. Now a question comes to mind but must post it in the proper location. 

Neilvanstem

Ha ha and lol as they say. After my initial feeling of low self esteem when looking around I am reminded of what someone said to me once. Feelings are not facts! So I got over it and joined in feet first and am enjoying showing my stuff to all. Having fun and I got over it. 

• Auxetophone unpinned this topic