Edison Opera serial number database

Tinfoilphono

Neilvanstem

Ha ha George Paul much more interesting if you have an Opera otherwise not so much. lol Neil

Tinfoilphono
12 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

I suppose the obvious answer is that there was a large inventory of School machines that remained unsold.

I consider that highly probable, given that Edison was compelled to discount remaining machines to clear out inventory, announced to the trade in November 1913 and published in Edison Phonograph Monthly in January 1914.

school.jpg.10c3556553e1cbe7a161f80d1551e3c1.jpg

Clearly, despite some mahogany Operas in the block of ~200 School Phonographs, that was a large production run. Sales didn't quite live up to expectations.

Tinfoilphono

A few more numbers have been added to the list. The seeming outlier, 4180, has now been confirmed as being labeled "Concert," so that block is solid.

On 1/4/2021 at 3:25 PM, Tinfoilphono said:

Is that a spruce horn? Very striking!

It sure looks like a spruce horn. The way to tell for sure is a close-up photo of the grain, which has narrow parallel grooves. I'll attach pics of the spruce horn from the Idelia I used to own. You can see the same grain on the outside of the horn, because the mahogany finish stain is applied to the solid spruce horn. - Jim Nichol

Spruce Horn 1.jpeg

Spruce Horn 2.jpeg

Spruce Horn 3.jpeg

Spruce Horn 4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I’m new here and just came across this thread. My Opera has been in my family since the 1920’s. It’s Mahogany serial number 116. 

3C32C8FD-E893-4BC0-9259-53AD7E13DAEB.jpeg

Tinfoilphono

Such an early example! It's great that it's been in the family so long. Thanks for posting.

billfeiner

I just saw this , I do not get on here as often as I would like. My Opera is Mahogany, marked as an Opera, serial # 646. Thanks, Bill Feiner