Edison Opera serial number database

Tinfoilphono

Tinfoilphono
12 minutes ago, phonogfp said:

I suppose the obvious answer is that there was a large inventory of School machines that remained unsold.

I consider that highly probable, given that Edison was compelled to discount remaining machines to clear out inventory, announced to the trade in November 1913 and published in Edison Phonograph Monthly in January 1914.

school.jpg.10c3556553e1cbe7a161f80d1551e3c1.jpg

Clearly, despite some mahogany Operas in the block of ~200 School Phonographs, that was a large production run. Sales didn't quite live up to expectations.

Tinfoilphono

A few more numbers have been added to the list. The seeming outlier, 4180, has now been confirmed as being labeled "Concert," so that block is solid.

On 1/4/2021 at 3:25 PM, Tinfoilphono said:

Is that a spruce horn? Very striking!

It sure looks like a spruce horn. The way to tell for sure is a close-up photo of the grain, which has narrow parallel grooves. I'll attach pics of the spruce horn from the Idelia I used to own. You can see the same grain on the outside of the horn, because the mahogany finish stain is applied to the solid spruce horn. - Jim Nichol

Spruce Horn 1.jpeg

Spruce Horn 2.jpeg

Spruce Horn 3.jpeg

Spruce Horn 4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw this , I do not get on here as often as I would like. My Opera is Mahogany, marked as an Opera, serial # 646. Thanks, Bill Feiner

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wanted to share that I have an Edison Opera, Serial # 180, purchased new by my great-grandparents. It is mahogany and has always been special to me. It needs repair now as the cylinder does not advance properly.         --  Steve Tribble

Tinfoilphono

That's a great machine that is even more special for its provenance. Thanks for posting!

I got one to add

Mahogany Opera 2834

Thanks

Krkey1

I see my machine was already added. Not sure if I sent you the info or not. I am getting old ?

Edited by Krkey1
error

• 4 weeks later...
Tinfoilphono

Thanks for posting. That's the lowest number reported to date for an oak Opera. All earlier ones in the database are mahogany.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
PatheLogical

Here's a fresh example from a recent estate find:

Serial number 1554

Mahogany

The metal finish on the mandrel is a very dark grey, glossy metallic (definitely not ordinary, bright nickel plating).

PXL_20220409_223443982.thumb.jpg.f8b093008518c5bb3400ad67a6e14e9f.jpg

Tinfoilphono

Thanks for that addition. 

Early Operas had a gunmetal-finish mandrel but I don't know at what point that changed. Now I realize I should have been asking! 

PatheLogical
1 hour ago, Tinfoilphono said:

Thanks for that addition. 

Early Operas had a gunmetal-finish mandrel but I don't know at what point that changed. Now I realize I should have been asking! 

Glad to finally be able to contribute to this database Rene! I've certainly seen many Operas before in passing, but I didn't remember seeing one with a gunmetal-finish mandrel and it threw me for a loop at first. I thought it was worth mentioning, as several knowledgeable collectors told me this particular mandrel was likely not original to the machine or the original black and copper finish had worn off. 

Perhaps others reading this will report or add similar details/variations to their own contributions to this project.

Edited by PatheLogical
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

No. 1711 originally sold by "Jake Graham for Grammophones, Liverpool, England according to the dealer tag. 3329526D-D560-4BCC-9064-6EBF3FB6FBFD.jpeg

A24AA45C-8E4C-4F2B-8F10-241186C2898C.jpeg

DDA1D30C-9522-4166-B3C5-935486E51A6C.jpeg

0FD963E0-DBF0-4F23-BEF9-5617C4670F18.jpeg

46A04B59-2C9B-41BE-AEDD-4FEFB744BCB7.jpeg

DCD1DE36-9D56-4976-AE20-9B0C79E62896.jpeg

8B47EBBF-4AE8-46B8-877A-55A182F66133.jpeg

Edited by Valecnik
Added text
  • Like 1