The machine I waited for!

Neilvanstem

For a couple years a guy kept telling me he had one. He would bring it to his store. He would dig it out and find it and would sell it to me. After a couple years I got tired and when I went to Ron Haring's place and saw hundreds of machines for sale I asked do you have a Victor Victrola X table top for sale. He had several amongst hundreds of other machines. A candy store!!! It is still now a few years later still my favorite table top. She sounds wonderful and I love red mahogany. I really love the simple design "Wall of Troy" decorative carving below the lid quoting the Victor Victrola page here.  So what machine did you wait for or dream about and finally acquire? 

vvx4.JPG

vvx5.JPG

vvx6.JPG

VV X too (11).JPG

vv X id plate.JPG

VV X too (10).JPG

vv X (2).JPG

vv X (3).JPG

vv X (5).JPG

• Like 1

Congratulations, Neil.  There's a special satisfaction in finally acquiring an item you've wanted for a long time.  Coincidentally, I learned of a local Victrola XII back in 1988.  The fellow who owned it was the father-in-law of a lukewarm collector who had no interest in the XII - - but I knew that if I showed the least interest he would decide to add it to his collection.  It was an odd situation.  A full 10 years later, I did a repair for this collector and casually asked about the XII.  He gave me his father-in-law's number, and a few days later the XII was at my house.  It was in very nice condition, with original key, instruction manual, and needle tin.  I've owned it for 22 years now, but I still appreciate how long I waited to get it.

However, when I thought about your question about "what machine did you dream about and finally acquire," my mind immediately went to the Graphophone Grand (GG) that I added to my collection in January 2017.  It came with a 30" brass horn and 19 Columbia Grand cylinders.  One of the records was a home recording, and because of the announcement and unusual family name, I was able to trace the original family who owned it.  I wrote an article which appeared in the September 2017 issue of The Antique Phonograph on GG Graphophones and on the history of this particular example.  I had dreamed of acquiring a GG for about 40 years!

GG.thumb.JPG.890cf7f516ca258561de57a60c47a608.JPG

While it would probably be nice to have vast amounts of disposable funds to throw at antique phonographs, there is undeniable satisfaction in working toward a goal for a long time before finally achieving it.

George P.

• Like 1

A nice machine you show and nice items that came with it! Very nice! 19 cylinders oh my. I only have seven of those kind of cylinders and I paid I think $75.00 each so may not buy many more very soon unless I get a bargain. So nice and I think I remember the article you mentioned. Now though a couple years later I may have to go back and reread it. Any way just a nice machine and key did you say. Oh my oh! Thanks for your response.

Actually, the key came with the Victrola XII.  Here's a picture of that one:

XII.thumb.JPG.87ec861cdda8320a4c961c3b75a0da3e.JPG

I expect most all of us have machines in our collections that took a long time to get there.  I certainly have more...but I've already exceeded my quota...

George P.

• Like 1

Mine was a concert cylinder machine as well. Ended up with an AB Macdonald and 48" horn. I only have 3 cylinders and they have all shrunk so fit to the mandrel is not great so I bought a couple of Vulcans which fit a treat.

For me it was the horn I was waiting for. I had found a later Zonophone Grand Opera with tapering arm without horn. I cleaned and serviced it and started looking for a horn. Little did I know that finding a loose Zonophone horn in good condition would be such a challenge. At some point I even bought a Zonophone Concert with horn so I could at least switch them around and play it. Then I saw a post from Jerry Blais on the TMF where he showed his Auxetophone which he displayed at the time with a beautiful Zonophone brass flower horn until he would find a correct large Victor horn. I asked him to let me know if he would ever consider selling the horn, because I had fallen in love with it. He promised to keep me in mind and a year or two passed. Then he posted his Auxetophone with a newly acquired Victor horn so I hugged him again and he graciously agreed to sell it to me. That was right after a Union show, so I waited another year until the next and my only Union show to take possession. The horn is a perfect match and the machine is still my favorite pride and joy - thanks to Jerry and his Bais express. 

Andreas

2CFF5B47-2E80-4C94-B1FE-F574AD52946F.thumb.jpeg.95914628fd100c97d4a2d8f0d21e621b.jpeg

• Like 1

One beautiful horn Andreas. I think that is the same Zonophone that I have. I had wanted one for a long time. It has a huge horn with cloth on it.