Victor C later style

Neilvanstem

Well I knew nothing as is usual then I buy this and start to investigate. I see the early C had a metal top and so this came later but think still 1901. First Victor machine model with side crank. Crank does not move while unwinding and can be wound while playing. Plays and sounds good to my ears. I believe this is a Concert sound box which is not as bad as I thought it might be!!! A brake I have never seen before and think I read used only for about a year? Any way this is my Victor C. I had to find it in Look for the dog as I did not see it in the Data Book. My record box was made by a neighbor whose hobby is wood working. 

victor c and record cabinet (3).JPG

Victor C too (1).JPG

Victor C too (10).JPG

Victor C too (9).JPG

Victor C too (8).JPG

Victor C too (7).JPG

Victor C too (6).JPG

Victor C too (5).JPG

Victor C too (4).JPG

Victor C too (3).JPG

Victor C too (2).JPG

victor c brake.JPG

victor c and record cabinet (7).JPG

victor c and record cabinet (2).JPG

• Like 2

Nice Victor C, Neil.  I've always liked the wooden trim under the perimeter of the turntable. 

Your C probably dates to 1902.

George P.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, phonogfp said:

Nice Victor C, Neil.  I've always liked the wooden trim under the perimeter of the turntable. 

Your C probably dates to 1902.

George P.

I mentioned 1901 because two sites/books mentioned only that year as if that was the only year it was produced. Look for the Dog was one place and the Victor/Victrola site. Thanks George!

2 hours ago, Neilvanstem said:

I mentioned 1901 because two sites/books mentioned only that year as if that was the only year it was produced. Look for the Dog was one place and the Victor/Victrola site. Thanks George!

The first Type Cs were introduced in 1901, but your later example carries a Victor Talking Machine Co. data plate.  Victor was incorporated in October 1901, and since yours is a later iteration, 1902 is a more likely date.  It was a good year!

George P.

• Like 1

By 1902, I believe the "C" was being marketed as a "Monarch Junior", eventually becoming the Victor II with the adoption of the rigid (and later taper) tonearm.  It appears there were five external changes between the older "C" of 1901 and the 1902 model – the horn support which went from a metal rod coming out of the top to a more substantial support bolted to the side of the cabinet; the brake - with an early bullet brake replacing the side friction brake; the top, which went from metal to wood; a hinged top for easier access to the motor; and of course the data plate changed from "Eldridge R. Johnson" to "Victor".  Under the hood, I think the 1902 model carried a double spring motor, in contrast to the 1901's single spring.  

I am attaching a few pictures of an earlier style "C" to show some of these differences.

IMG_3522.thumb.jpg.58de11fd820d8c2ae1071c14578b237b.jpg

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

• Like 1