French G&T Trademark Coin-Op

Garret

Garret
Posted (edited)

Is it me, or is the base cabinet on this French G&T Trademark Coin-op questionable?

trademark 2.webp

trademark 1.webp

Edited by Garret

Garret

I've never seen a bottom cabinet like that one.

Garret
Posted (edited)

None like this. The cabinet was always a bit more refined on others I have seen.

Edited by Garret

Tinfoilphono

I don't profess to be an expert in G&T machines but there's nothing about that one that sets off alarm bells to me. It appears to have a G&T decal on the lower part, and the tone of the wood seems suitably aged. 

I've seen a number of similar cabinets in French coin-ops. There's a lot of variation. I suspect these large bases were made for busy places, with drawers for records and lots of space for coins to accumulate. I'm reminded of some contemporary poker gambling machines made by Mills in the US, with some having a small cash box inside the cast iron machine, and others being mounted to wooden bases with an extra-large cash box.

Garret

Rene,

Thank you for sharing. The build quality on the bottom cabinet just strikes me as a bit cheap, and I've never seen anything quite like it, hence the question.  

JohnH
Posted (edited)

Garret,

A very strange bottom cabinet indeed.
I would have expected a more refined cabinet as shown in a French G&T catalogue, with either a small horn or large horn, but with the same bottom cabinet.

John

GTcoin1.jpg.f36b2041fec00033af4435fc971423d1.jpgGTcoin2.jpg.a4ad5fc58ba2566ec4cc29f9e43b2da9.jpgGTcoin3.jpg.05a1a33d6434da996da4330929e08b66.jpg

Edited by JohnH
  • Like 1

If this was in a bar or bistro in Paris, the build quality would be secondary from an aesthetic viewpoint.   The machine looks correct and is bolted to the cabinet for security concerns, like Columbia coin-ops.  The main thing that is definitely original and difficult to duplicate, is the coin slot mechanism with the plunger.  Berliner coin-ops are built simply and functional without fancy moldings and high grade wood cabinets, like many European machines.  The machine shown in the original pics looks like a slightly less expensive model of the ones in the catalog...

If you could get a better view of the deacl on the base unit it might be helpful in determining it's authenticity. 

• 2 weeks later...
Garret

The decal appears original. The cabinet appears refinished. 

57932-30 (6).jpg

57932-30 (7).jpg

57932-30 (8).jpg