Planned Outage - Sunday 5 May - 2A - 4A, EDT - Platform Upgrade ×

1921 New Freeman

IanW

Well, it appears my wife wears the pants in this house. After much discussion and veiled threats, she wants rid of the Freeman. So if anyone knows where would be the best place to advertise it along with the old records, I'm all ears.  After seeing the cat lovingly admire it as his latest scratch post, I kinda understand. he hasn't....yet! And if anyone might give me a ball park reasonable figure for the machine, receipt, needles and records, I would be forever grateful. 

Whoever said women don't hold the power, were so, so wrong......

Sorry to see this my friend. If there's any benefit in this, it's that it makes me love my wife all the more.

Since it was left to your wife, maybe you could offer it to a more appreciative family member instead of letting a total stranger have it.  

As for retail value (?) - not much to collectors, it definitely should have more sentimental value to family.

It's a shame she doesn't feel that way...  So much for "family heirlooms".  Try leaving an outdated computer or flat screen TV to your future descendants...

9 hours ago, IanW said:

Well, it appears my wife wears the pants in this house. After much discussion and veiled threats, she wants rid of the Freeman. So if anyone knows where would be the best place to advertise it along with the old records, I'm all ears.  After seeing the cat lovingly admire it as his latest scratch post, I kinda understand. he hasn't....yet! And if anyone might give me a ball park reasonable figure for the machine, receipt, needles and records, I would be forever grateful. 

Whoever said women don't hold the power, were so, so wrong......

Sorry to hear that, Ian...

I'd recommend: Marketplace, craigslist, and/or eBay local pickup. Since it's an off brand, it doesn't have a lot of collector desirability, but could appeal to somone with a general interest in antiques.  In its current condition, I think a fair non-retail value for everything is around $150-$350. Of course, your location can impact the value, especially if you're in a less populated area. 

If you want something on the higher side, put an emphasis on everything original. (Albums, records, receipt.)  The forum even has a for sale section if you want to list it here. It might have to sit for a while until the right buyer comes along. 

Edited by BenL

Again, thank you all for your help and input. I'm disappointed at not keeping it, but sometimes you have to lose a battle to win the war. I shall advertise on here and elsewhere.  Thanks guys..... this is a great site and great members...