The Talking Machine Forum, Warning

Django

Quite a few of us used to be members at the TMF and found one day we couldn´t log in anymore. No idea why - and at least 10 messages to the administrator over the last year and a half have had no effect at all. Not to mention - no answers at all. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2023 at 11:19 AM, Dan said:

Will we be able to register now or is that still a problem 

Dan

Hey Dan, maybe try again now? I sent in a registration back in the spring and never got admitted, but I resubmitted in early July using a different username and just got added today. (So, took about a month and a half.)

12 hours ago, Cabinfever said:

Hey Dan, maybe try again now? I sent in a registration back in the spring and never got admitted, but I resubmitted in early July using a different username and just got added today. (So, took about a month and a half.)

Tried several times won’t let me register. To annoying .Im happy here I’ll just stay with this forum. Thanks 

• Like 1

I messaged David (the owner of the TMF) and he says he has now activated everybody who has applied after July 1, 2023. You should be good to go.

Just so everybody here knows, I have nothing to do with the TMF other than being a member who has David's phone #, a privilege that I do not wish to abuse.

Raphael

55 minutes ago, Raphael said:

I messaged David (the owner of the TMF) and he says he has now activated everybody who has applied after July 1, 2023. You should be good to go.

Just so everybody here knows, I have nothing to do with the TMF other than being a member who has David's phone #, a privilege that I do not wish to abuse.

Raphael

When I tried it kept asking for a number in the verification question line whatever I put in it rejected

Could be your browser... just delete caché and cookie, close the page and browser, restart afresh and go to the page... maybe this will work.

And what about the lost images?  Do we have an answer?

You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created. Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

• Like 1

Dan, it's my understanding Raphael has Mordeth's phone number, and Mordeth is the one who has locked up the admin powers. Let us know if you hear anything. I confess I'm not optimistic.

Edited by Garret

BambooDreams

I'm a bit late to the party here, but just to mention that Mordeth confirmed to me a couple of weeks ago that new members are indeed being accepted on The Talking Machine forum.  He is a little bit behind but there should generally be no problem at all now.

Another happy ending !

On 8/23/2023 at 1:01 PM, BambooDreams said:

I'm a bit late to the party here, but just to mention that Mordeth confirmed to me a couple of weeks ago that new members are indeed being accepted on The Talking Machine forum.  He is a little bit behind but there should generally be no problem at all now.

Another happy ending !

What did you learn about the missing pictures?

5 hours ago, Jerry said:

Have you tried asking him yourself?

You are missing the point.  The owner has been non-responsive on this issue for months, just as he has on requests for account help.

Asking “ourselves” appears to be pointless.   Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

A couple of individuals on this thread appear to have some communication pathway established; hence, the reason for Garret’s question.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, ForestDrew said:

You are missing the point.  The owner has been non-responsive on this issue for months, just as he has on requests for account help.

Asking “ourselves” appears to be pointless.   Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

A couple of individuals on this thread appear to have some communication pathway established; hence, the reason for Garret’s question.

I recall David ("Mordeth" - the TMF administrator) posting that if people continue to complain, it was a disincentive to him to do further work on the TMF. 

George P.

• Like 1

BambooDreams
On 8/24/2023 at 5:02 PM, Garret said:

What did you learn about the missing pictures?

Oh yes, of course, the pictures.

Well, my personal view is that enough time has passed now to safely assume that the pictures are gone. Never to be recovered.  Unfortunate but these things happen.

As I say, just my personal view.

Edited by BambooDreams
duplication

On 8/24/2023 at 8:47 PM, phonogfp said:

I recall David ("Mordeth" - the TMF administrator) posting that if people continue to complain, it was a disincentive to him to do further work on the TMF. 

George P.

Well, talk about attitude! I'm one of those who inadvertently logged out of the TMF site and was unable to get back on, despite repeated attempts. I've had it with that outfit! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Well, talk about attitude! I'm one of those who inadvertently logged out of the TMF site and was unable to get back on, despite repeated attempts. I've had it with that outfit! 

I certainly don't wish to misrepresent what David wrote, so here is a direct quote from his posting of May 4, 2022, in the "TMF Tech Support" category, under "Meltdown of TMF Attachments":

"Let me worry about this issue, lamenting about it negatively impacts my motivation. If you want to help, donations to offset my time are greatly appreciated."

To be fair, David isn't a phonograph/record guy, and doesn't own the TMF, but in at its inception in 2009 offered to administer it for the owner (a friend).  When the owner dropped off the radar, David was left holding the bag.  David has a full-time job, and can devote only limited time to the TMF.  It's ultimately an unsustainable situation, and the fact that the TMF has survived this long is a testament to David's loyalty to his friend.  This friend has ignored repeated offers from the APS to either 1) purchase the TMF outright, 2) pay for its daily administration, or 3) hire David to provide daily administration.  The abandonment of the TMF by its owner was the reason the APS developed the APS Forum - which is maintained and administered by a group of people (some paid IT professionals; others APS volunteers).  The APS safeguards the history/information contained on the APS Forum.  Thanks to all the dues-paying members who make this possible!

George P.

• Like 3