The Talking Machine Forum, Warning

Django

I tried to go the to The Talking machine Forum this morning and got a warning “This Connection is Not Private”, followed by “This website may be impersonating “forum.talkingmachine.info” to steal your personal or financial information.  You should go back to then previous page.”  

I don’t know how this will play out or if it is even an real issue.  If anyone has any meaningful information regarding this, please share it.

Thanks

Edited by Django

It appears their Security Certificate expired (https) and the warning you receive will appear differently depending on your browser.

Tinfoilphono

The expired certificate triggers alarms for most browsers, making it more difficult to access. With Chrome I have to click through warnings to reach the site, then click through the same warnings again to open any thread. I don't believe there's any real risk of having important personal data stolen as a result of the lack of certificate, but it certainly makes accessing the forum annoying. I have little doubt that it will drive many people away, sooner or later, if not addressed promptly. There's not a lot of hope for that given that the administrator has been missing for many months.

Me too... Sad that it's come to this, and kind of amazing that it worked as long as it has with nobody "at the wheel", so to speak.

Edited by Jerry

Tinfoilphono

It would be a shame to lose so many years worth of good information, although since the old picture links have long since been broken the value of the old posts is already seriously diminished.  Thank goodness we have this forum up and running. 

I just rang off with David ("Mordeth").  He has renewed the certificate and says it may take a bit for the renewal to take effect.  He promised me that he would stay on top of the situation until it is resolved.

Raphael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BambooDreams
34 minutes ago, Raphael said:

I just rang off with David ("Mordeth").  He has renewed the certificate and says it may take a bit for the renewal to take effect.  He promised me that he would stay on top of the situation until it is resolved.

Raphael

Fantastic !!!  Thank you VERY much for your efforts Raphael !

With most of the photos missing it's next to useless... It was a phenomenal resource, that's why I stayed active for so long. Some discussions had photos of ads that are no longer available anywhere else.  Frankly, we shouldn't be building it back up. This is going to continue to happen until someone who cares takes control... 

Why keep playing into a broken system when there is one far superior, managed by people who actually care, and will pass it on to people who will continue to care. 

Edited by BenL
  • Like 3

Well, the topic at hand was that the site was down, and it's working now. The solution was to locate the administrator.  Luckily I had his contact info, and one phone call did the trick.  He also said that he would get his focus back on the site and make various improvements going forward.  I know we've all heard that before, but people do have other lives outside of phonographs, and from what he told me his has been very hectic. 

Raphael

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Raphael said:

Well, the topic at hand was that the site was down, and it's working now. The solution was to locate the administrator.  Luckily I had his contact info, and one phone call did the trick.  He also said that he would get his focus back on the site and make various improvements going forward.  I know we've all heard that before, but people do have other lives outside of phonographs, and from what he told me his has been very hectic. 

Raphael

He's been saying that for over five years... I don't have a life outside phonographs, half the people who work/volunteer for the APS have lives that center around phonographs.  Why be complacent with an outdated broken system? When we can work to make a better one, even better. Because, unless someone really cares about the TMF, it's not going to get any better.  

Edited by BenL
  • Like 2

There are pros and cons about the TMF, and believe it or not, I have heard some criticism of the APS Forum as well.  That being said, each has it's benefits and it would be a pity to favor one over the demise of the other.  As a matter of habit, I for one check in to the TMF daily to listen and learn, and it does not guide my life.  Due to personal inertia, I have used the APS Forum much less but would hate to see it disappear as well.

Raphael

5 hours ago, Raphael said:

There are pros and cons about the TMF, and believe it or not, I have heard some criticism of the APS Forum as well.  That being said, each has it's benefits and it would be a pity to favor one over the demise of the other.  As a matter of habit, I for one check in to the TMF daily to listen and learn, and it does not guide my life.  Due to personal inertia, I have used the APS Forum much less but would hate to see it disappear as well.

Raphael

Will we be able to register now or is that still a problem 

Dan

BambooDreams
19 hours ago, BenL said:

With most of the photos missing it's next to useless... It was a phenomenal resource, that's why I stayed active for so long. Some discussions had photos of ads that are no longer available anywhere else.  Frankly, we shouldn't be building it back up. This is going to continue to happen until someone who cares takes control... 

Why keep playing into a broken system when there is one far superior, managed by people who actually care, and will pass it on to people who will continue to care. 

It is not 'next to useless'.   If you think it is then stay away.

Frankly, it remains an extremely valuable and irreplaceable resource which is strong and can, and will, be built up further and go from strength to strength.

Which resource are you talking about when you say there one 'far more superior' ? 

The most valuable part of TMF has been missing for months.  Specifically, the 100’s of valuable photographs painstakingly upload by contributors.  To date there has been:

·         No confirmation backups exist

·         No confirmation photos can be restored

·         No confirmation if and when they will be

New members are apparently having problems being authenticated.

Based on other posts, technical support is non-existent.

There has been no moderation of inappropriate content.

The Security Certificate issue was a mere minor annoyance.

What’s not to like?

• Like 4

I mostly gave up over there.  Certainly I'm not going to bother with  posting more pictures, most of which turn up sideways if taken from an iPhone. All the featured phono pics are gone.   Also that site does not work at my location in Europe unless I use VPN with a USA IP address.   Not sure if others any others have had that problem.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2023 at 1:19 PM, BambooDreams said:

It is not 'next to useless'.   If you think it is then stay away.

Frankly, it remains an extremely valuable and irreplaceable resource which is strong and can, and will, be built up further and go from strength to strength.

Which resource are you talking about when you say there one 'far more superior' ? 

Well, here for starters... In my opinion the APS forum is far more superior to the TMF. (Though it lacks resources now, it wont for very long.) The APS in general, David Gleason's website, Internet-Archives. (Internet-Archives has access to past issue of the New Amberola Graphic, the Antique Phonograph Monthly, and the Phonograph Monthly Review.) There are better resources available that I don't have to worry about losing. 

Edited by BenL
  • Like 1

Just a reminder that the APS Member Resources Section of the APS website has Antique Phonograph Monthly's, Talking Machine World, Phonogram, Edison Phonograph Monthly's and the rarer Edison Amberola Monthly's, as well as many other Machine and Instruction Catalogs, such as: Edison Eclipse Instructions, as an example.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RodPickett said:

Just a reminder that the APS Member Resources Section of the APS website has Antique Phonograph Monthly's, Talking Machine World, Phonogram, Edison Phonograph Monthly's and the rarer Edison Amberola Monthly's, as well as many other Machine and Instruction Catalogs, such as: Edison Eclipse Instructions, as an example.

No disputing that the membership is worth every penny!

• Like 3

On 7/28/2023 at 2:19 PM, Dan said:

Will we be able to register now or is that still a problem 

Dan

Dan, I have no idea about registering on the TMF.  In spite of my recent intervention to kick-start the broken machine, I have no role in administration at all.

Raphael

1 hour ago, Raphael said:

Dan, I have no idea about registering on the TMF.  In spite of my recent intervention to kick-start the broken machine, I have no role in administration at all.

Raphael

Ok Thank you Raphael I can try again I guess