Neilvanstem

Neilvanstem

Someone recently acquired a VTLA and he produced a YouTube video discussing it and also many photos on APS facebook site. I was amazed at all the differences between his and mine. To name a few. He had no needle cups only a pull out drawer on top under motor board. I have a piano hinge and he had two small hinges holding the lid and a different lid support from mine. His serial number by the way is 658 and mine 1729 and from what I gather both made in 1907. His horn did not have the Patent Applied for inside it and mine does. He has an in the slot crank and mine is a female crank that screws on. He has a drawer at the bottom that pulls out with a pull knob and mine is the same as on my Victor XVI C model. So they sure did change things a lot at Victor didn't they. In a short period of time to I think. I post for fun some of my photos. 

vtla accessories (10).JPG

VTLA albums (1).JPG

VTLA albums (10).JPG

vtla parts (5).JPG

vtla parts (9).JPG

vtla parts (11).JPG

vtla parts (13).JPG

vtla parts also (2).JPG

vtla parts also (6).JPG

vtla parts also (9).JPG

VTLA when bought.jpg

vtla5.JPG

Neilvanstem

Oh and my friends machine did not have that 'label' inside his machine when accessed from the back. So another difference. He said he saw no spot that had old glue nor any sign the label/notice was ever there. 

Auxetophone

The flat top cabinets had several variations. I have seen ones both with the needle drawer and without. Both are perfectly lovely. Some find them to be clumsy and poorly designed compared to the dome top VTLA, but I think that adds to the charm! I may have a few ads I can dig out and post tomorrow. 

Percy_Dovetonsils

Neil... let me get this straight.

You own a Pooley VTLA... and you are whining that you aren't cool enough to hang out with this crowd??

In the immortal words of Bob and Doug McKenzie... "Take off, Hoser!" ?

• Haha 2

Neilvanstem
4 hours ago, Percy_Dovetonsils said:

You own a Pooley VTLA... and you are whining that you aren't cool enough to hang out with this crowd??

Well I just expressed my initial feelings and as one once told me feelings aren't facts.  I have since jumped in with two feet. 

7 hours ago, Percy_Dovetonsils said:

Well, I can challenge the cool enough idea. I am one of those collectors who don't want a VTLA or a Credenza. It seems everyone and their brother wants one but not I. I am happily uncool. ?

• 2 years later...

I recently brought home a Pooley VTLA, s/n 844.  Unfortunately, it had been converted into a liquor cabinet.  They busted the horn out and the horn, motor and motor board, drawer and reproducer are all gone.  This one would have had the earlier, bevel gear motor and I am searching for a three spring bevel gear motor, but not having much luck.  I was able to get a motor board and I can reproduce the all wood horn and drawer.  I do love these early Pooley VTLA machines, so I will do what it takes to bring it back.

The cabinet is coming along and I have temporarily installed a re-cut and modifies Columbia De Luxe horn, (second style, not the lion head). 

If anyone knows when the motors were changed to the later, VTLA/L-Door type, please let me know.  

Thanks

A1856BE3-2BA6-4DB2-B445-FF94BE869838.jpeg

772A4CD1-0008-49CF-BD32-F68F0B929A79.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Update on #844.  I was able to find a motor that probably came from a Victor D.  I turned the parts to convert it to a yielding turntable, made a motor board and hardware , horn and drawer.  I was fortunate enough to be able to get all the dimensions from another VTLA with a close serial number.  She’s now complete and back to running condition.  

The original motor boards were not grain filled and lightly finished on the underside.  The L shaped hardware on the motor board are there to position it within the cabinet and are the same as the originals.  The pictures of the motor board were taken under fluorescent lighting and the underside is a little greasy.  This was also prior to the installation of the rubber bumpers.

CA22882C-39E7-4AA2-BED3-7EF270F719B1.jpeg

A806CCA8-FB43-405D-83CF-A520D60A9953.jpeg

357CEAA3-53B9-49F5-A319-B678D5F77359.jpeg

E441DCFC-BE84-4A42-AD70-5371D4725986.jpeg

D67A5F3D-CCF6-48AE-90DC-517346B88A1E.jpeg

• Like 2