Steam fired (gramo)phone

Sheraz

Hello ! Here is a video, shared by a friend, of a unique talking machine fired by a mini steam boiler which uses the force produced by steam pressure to push a piston back and forth inside a cylinder. This pushing force is transformed, by a connecting rod and crank, into rotational force for work. The mechanism is quite elaborate. Amazing idea! 

Currently it does not seem to have speed control function and the noise from pistons is very loud probably for absence of proper maintenance. I guess this has originated from the sub continent as the horn and back bracket suggest. 

I am not sure if this was an experimental project or patented. 

Cheers
Sheraz

Edited by RodPickett
Converted MOV to MP4

Actually, that's not a steam engine. It's a Stirling engine that runs on hot air -- no water or steam involved. Stirling engines were used extensively in the 19th century as they were very efficient, especially for pumps. Paillard (and some others in Europe) made phonographs powered by Stirling hot air engines. Here's a video on a Paillard Maestrophone that I used to own: 

And here's a fan that I still have that runs on hot air:

Edited by RodPickett
Converted WMV to MP4
  • Like 1

Thanks for clarifying. Earlier I watched a similar thing called steam fired gramophone so I thought this to be of similar kind. But I stand corrected 

Cheers