Manophone

Shocker

I am refurbishing a 1920s Manophone that has been in my wife's family since new.

I am a woodworking hobbyist and know very little about these.

I am looking for

a manual for this unit.

guidance on lubricating the Motor

guidance on needles.

Pictures of your machine would be the first place to start, since a Manophone is not a commonly encountered machine (not rare, just not very popular).

Manophone is one of the many "off-brand" phonographs manufactured in Adrian, Michigan during the heyday of phonographs (early 1900s-1920s).  Thousands of these generic phonographs were produced.  I doubt very much that an original manual can be found, although most phonographs operate on the same basic principles and most off-brand machines were made with readily available generic parts.   If your machine has the original tonearm and reproducer, the reproducer can be rotated to play both vertical and lateral cut records (do a GOOGLE search to learn more about this).  

Your machine is designed to play "shellac" records from the early 1900s - early 1930s.  Steel needles are used for vertical cut 78rpm records, changing needles after each play.  Lateral cut records - some Pathe records, require a permanent sapphire needle and thick Edison Diamond Disc records require a diamond permanent stylus to play.  These styli are not replaced after each play...

If the motor winds up and operates, a good cleaning would be appropriate depending on how dirty or gunky it is.  Commonly old grease hardens over time and needs to be removed and new modern lithium grease applied.  

There have been many discussions about the best methods to accomplish this, but here is a starting reference:

https://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=52698

Search the Talking Machine Forum for more info on lubrication, needle usage and suppliers, etc.

TMW 9:1916.png

1230375448_ScreenShot2022-05-18at3_06_42PM.png

1670493519_ScreenShot2022-05-18at3_07_59PM.png

1097725046_ScreenShot2022-05-18at3_08_21PM.png

Manophone-3-models.jpg

Manophone-phono.jpg

Some additional info:

Your Manophone was made by a prestigious piano company, Clough & Warren of Adrian, MI.  

https://antiquepianoshop.com/online-museum/simmons-clough/

Clough & Warren built some of the most elaborate and expensive pianos and organs in American history. The firm had factories in both Detroit and Adrian, Michigan and their organs were distributed all over the United States and Canada. Their instruments were incredibly ornate, often being made of rare and exotic woods and inlay.  They quit making pianos in 1910 and made only phonographs after that.

Manophone has a very interesting history, especially for an off brand.

Founded by James Manoil in 1916, the company was suspected of being a front for the German government during WW1. Manoil himself was even accused of being a Germany agent, secretly working to buy munitions for the German military attaché, Franz von Papen. The company may have received German government support for its efforts to exploit the growing American phonograph market.  Manoil was only hiring large groups of workers from the nearby Remington gun factory. As the company's German support waned, Clough & Warren bought controlling shares in the company, allowing Manophone to break away from Manoil. Clough & Warren continued the brand till about 1922-1923

Despite the fact that Manoil was investigated by the Military Intelligence Division, he was never directly connected. During that time, he fled to Mexico until things died down. In the late 1920s, it’s believed he played a role in the founding of Manoil Manufacturing Co, which manufactured metal toys.

Edited by BenL

Nice addition, Ben.  I wondered what  the connection was between the James Manoil Co. of NY and the Manophone Co. of Adrian, MI.  Who knows if James Manoil was the victim of a witch hunt... the details would be interesting.

WWI brought a lot of distrust toward former German, US citizens.  My great-grandfather was banned from being near any US Armory, in spite of the fact that he left Germany in the 1870s to avoid being conscripted into the Prussian army and became a US citizen.  

I have German ancestors on both sides of my family and they were forbidden to speak German, even though some of them came to the US and became citizens before the Civil War.  My great-grandfather on my father's side had to escape Germany in 1850, for his involvement in the failed 1848 German revolution.

9 hours ago, CurtA said:

I wondered what the connection was between the James Manoil Co. of NY and the Manophone Co. of Adrian, MI.  

Clough & Warren briefly changed their name to the Manophone Corporation after they bought the brand. It wasn't the best business decision to change the name of a well-established company that existed since the 1870s. Although they changed their name back in 1922, the damage had been done. They likely fell victim to the early 1920's phonograph recession, and the whole company came to an end soon after. 

Clough & Warren buy Manophone : (https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Archive-Talking-Machine-IDX/IDX/10s/Talking-Machine-1917-01-OCR-Page-0090.pdf#search="manophone")

They change their name back: (https://worldradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Business/Music/Archive-Talking-Machine-IDX/IDX/20s/Talking-Machine-1922-08-OCR-Page-0118.pdf#search="manophone")

James Manoil and his alleged involvement with the German government is described in an article, but it seems somewhat speculative.