Valuation of a Cheney Talking Machine

Toni

I am looking for a valuation of a Cheney talking machine left by our parents who passed away this last year, and while doing some research, happened upon this site for help.

The funny thing is we always used to refer to it as the victrola. It is style 2 Sheridan, and there are 2 patent dates on the back plate. The cabinet design patent is Nov, 20, 1917.

I have attached some pictures and would love someone to help me out.

Thank you,

Toni

5E2D66C8-0BB8-4B40-902D-A30C24468159.jpeg

748FE46E-C6AB-44E9-8D58-AFBEE88DF917.jpeg

audiophile102

Here is an excellent article about the Cheney talking machine company.  https://www.antiquephono.org/cheney-talking-machines-r-j-wakeman/

As far as value, it depends on condition.  Many of the parts are expensive to fix.  Without having eyes on it, I can't give you a fair valuation.  Generally, collectors aren't much interested in lower end machines.  

Edited by audiophile102
Didn't get the link right the first time.

The style 2 Sheraton was introduced in late 1917 being produced till about 1922. They updated the cabinet design for the style 20 Sheraton in 1923, which took its place. (Production on all Cheney phonographs ended between late 1925 or within the first weeks of 1926.) Sadly, no serial number records survive to get a more exact year. 

Cheney had national distribution but is considered an off brand with most collectors. (It's one one of the more collectable off-brands though.) I think a fair non-retail value is around $100-$300. The cabinet doesn't look too bad, but the motor/reproducer will likely need to be serviced. Where you're located will also play a part in its value. 

Cheney Sheraton.jpg

Edited by BenL

It hit me, the lid on your machine doesn't match the style 2 Sheraton advertisement. I tried doing a little research to see if they changed lid designs sometime during production. Based off advertising the sloped lid was pretty much used from 1917-1920. Then the boxer lid like the one on yours appears around 1920-1921. This could just be a variation in cabinet manufacturing, but it could also indicate your machine dates more around 1920-1922. 

cheney style 2.jpg

Edited by BenL