Window shopping in Detroit...

CurtA

Curt, that first image is a honey - it combines two interests of mine as expressed on this Forum :

https://forum.antiquephono.org/topic/734-phonographs-and-motorcycles/ 

The picture was clearly taken during the warm months, with bicycles and two motorcycles front and center, while the dusty Victors and Phonographs are pushed out of the way against the walls!  Thanks for posting this!

George P.

audiophile102

Beautiful pictures.  The Edison show rooms are my favorite ones.  Thanks for posting.

Terrific pictures! These kind of images always make me wonder where these things ended up and how many of them still exist. The machines are wonderful, and the advertising signs shown make me wish I could materialize inside the images and see them in person. Thanks for posting them.

George,  I thought of you when I ran across the 1911 Indian Shop with phonographs.  It seems like a strange combo business, but it must have been somewhat common, since I have seen other pics of bicycle shops that sold phonographs.

Thanks for all of the comments, I'm glad all of you enjoyed them...  If anyone has other pics to share, please post them.  The Edison showroom pics are of the Story and Clark showroom.

Tinfoilphono

Another Detroit combination bicycle / phonograph shop -- "Detroit, Michigan, circa 1912. "Metzger bicycle shop. Detroit City Gas Co." This photo of a cycle (and phonograph) shop was taken to show off the gaslight fixtures. 8x10 glass negative, Detroit Publishing Company." (From Shorpy.com)

What amazes me in many of these old store photos is the amount of clutter, and the near-impossibility of accessing the vast walls filled with cylinder and/or disc records. Shopping was certainly a very different experience in those days.

phono store.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting this pic Renee,  I knew I had seen a bicycle/phonograph shop somewhere...  You are right about the clutter, it looks like one of the places "the pickers" have visited.

Wow those two photos of the Edison shop are amazing.  Appears most of the 1914 catalogue is on display there except for the A-450.  Very cool and good quality photos.

I was imagining heading down to Summerfield & Hecht to see if they still have that Gothic Columbia....

On 5/6/2022 at 9:23 PM, CurtA said:

I was imagining heading down to Summerfield & Hecht to see if they still have that Gothic Columbia....

Then I discovered that it burned down in 1929...

Detroit_Free_Press_Mon__Jan_28__1929_.jpg

Summerfield&Hecht.jpg

• Sad 1