Bacigalupi Type A Graphophone discovery

Tinfoilphono

Tinfoilphono

Two years ago I started a thread about Bacigalupi memorabilia, but this time I want to discuss a machine. I haven't been this excited about a new find in a very long time, but this is special -- it's a true time capsule, exactly as it was found in the family of the original owner.

In addition to the Graphophone itself, in outstanding original condition, it came with a large exhibition horn, and a record cabinet still filled with 71 near-mint brown wax cylinders. It is just as the original owner got it from Peter Bacigalupi in 1897. (Well, with some later records added to the collection, but still...) One very unusual detail is that instead of having the typically-seen decal, it carries a nickel-plated brass tag with Bacigalupi's name and 946 Market St. address. That store was destroyed in a massive fire in November 1898, after which he moved to 933 Market St., the address usually seen on Bacigalupi decals, record labels, and memorabilia. Items from the 946 Market era are much scarcer than the later ones. 

Bacigalupi sold Phonographs & Graphophones up to the late 1890s. It's not entirely clear when or why he stopped selling Graphophones. Some have said he was pressured by Edison, but I doubt that -- Edison let jobbers and dealers carry Columbia machines well into the first decade of the 20th century, as is noted in the Edison Phonograph Monthly. I used to own another Type A sold by Bacigalupi, but it had a decal mentioning Phonographs & Graphophones, with the 946 Market St. address. I also have a record box listing both types of machines, but with his later 933 Market St. address. This leads me to believe he dropped Columbia in 1899/1900.

Getting back to this new find, the horn is very funky -- measuring 27" long, with a 16" bell. It appears to have been made by a skilled craftsman rather than a factory. It's well-made, but not quite up to Hawthorne & Sheble standards. Not to mention the very wide flare and short bell. Maybe Bacigalupi had horns made by a local San Francisco metal-worker.  ??  The record cabinet is more professional but I don't know who may have made it. It appears to have been designed to sit sideways, with the drawers at the side. Each drawer holds 24 cylinders on wooden pegs. Incredibly, the cabinet is filled with 71 near-mint brown wax cylinders. An incredible hoard, certainly larger than I've seen since the 1960s. 

This machine stayed in one family for almost exactly 100 years, before being sold in an estate sale. The buyer was not a phonograph collector, but he was an avid antiques collector, notably early (pre-electric) lighting. He loved having the machine and kept it on display in his living room, but he didn't play it. But he did research it, which is what led him to my web page on Bacigalupi. He had no interest in selling, but as it happens, he left written instructions saying that in the event of his death, it should be offered to me. Which is what happened. Evidently he appreciated all the information I shared with him 18 years ago. Karma?

IMG_2939.jpg

IMG_2939A.jpg

IMG_2940.jpg

IMG_2942.jpg

IMG_2945.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, that is a really nice setup. Congratulations and thanks for the story that reminds us to be kind and share Information freely. It sure did pay off!

That's fabulous, Rene!  What a wonderful original outfit - -

The condition of everything looks great too.  Congratulations!

The Type 4 decal on that A dates it to no earlier than around August 1897.  I would expect the serial number is in the high 60,000 or low 70,000 range.  How did I do?

George P.

Hey - that's great Rene - thanks!  Knowing this mechanism is almost certainly original to the cabinet helps establish a serial range for this particular decal.  That must be one of the first As to use that decal, so your estimate of 1897 is right on the money.  Probably late summer/early fall.

Best,

George P.

Congratulations! That's a really wonderful time capsule. 

I can't help but wonder about the cylinders. Wouldn't it be great to find one of the long lost cylinders that Billy Murray made for Bacigalupi?

Tinfoilphono

I secretly hoped for just that, but alas, no.... But there are 9 records with no company announcement. It's certainly possible that one or more of those might have been recorded by Bacigalupi, but I know of no way to tell. They could be from any of the 'regional' companies of the 90s. I don't know if Bacigalupi records were ever announced as such. 

• 3 months later...