Columbia Graphophone BII???

Bullsusf00

Please excuse my ignorance as this is my first post related to my first purchase. I recently purchased this Graphophone in an online auction ($450) and it just arrived today. 

I am trying to understand the history of this item and what elements may be authentic or reproduction. I have purchased medium needles but they won’t arrive until next week. It looks like I may be missing a piece in the reproducer to hold the needle in place, but I’m uncertain. It’s clear that the screws on the top are odd as I don’t see that anywhere on Columbia models. 

I’m prepared for feedback that it may not be worth my purchase price, but I purchased it to get into this space as a beginner and it looks lovely regardless. Thank you for your time. - Kevin

CAC9AD33-8567-48BF-AD26-66F0C2FC8FC6.jpeg

EC2FE7F1-EE8E-4014-8D8F-E7658CAFF90E.jpeg

7C6A5A7D-9150-4A37-8C0A-EC7D0EB6955A.jpeg

2A07B52B-A63F-480E-8A7E-7E4EA281C5F2.jpeg

EFB93AFF-34AC-44E4-9257-979A7DA56CAD.jpeg

42B6D502-DD2D-4D62-9D25-29DF104D86A4.jpeg

A0CB75A9-3E75-4287-89A5-10C8179634CD.jpeg

• Like 2

This looks like an Columbia Disc Graphophone BN Improved Champion to me; this is according to Robert W. Baumbach's book "Columbia Phonograph Companion Volume II". I'd say you did very well on what you paid. These are pretty uncommon machines to say the least - although I hesitate to say "rare" because I'm no expert. I'll defer to those experts here for more opinions.

Congratulations,

Fran

Edited by Fran604g

This is great insight! Thanks so much for cross-referencing the Companion Volume to try and identify the model. I'm hopeful that it actually operates! 

• Like 1

After additional research, I'm wondering if this is a modified "Royal Talking Company" Gramophone as they utilized Columbia parts and perhaps the horn has simply been swapped. Also, I'm now wondering if the Graphophone label is authentic and/or it replaced the Royal label (although that included holes that I don't see here). But the Royal has the screws on the top that I'm seeing on my machine. I'm perplexed. 🙂

Royal Talking Machine.jpeg

Antique-Phonograph-by-Royal-Talking-Machine Co-Chicago-USA.jpg

No, the Royal cabinet is quite different dimensionally, with fluted columns and a narrower base molding.  As Fran reported, your machine is either a late BN or a 25H.  Your machine has the later sound box of the 25H, but with an earlier nickeled horn.  This is not at all uncommon with Columbia machines, and bear in mind that original purchasers often configured their machines to suit their taste.  Here are pages from Robert Baumbach's Columbia Phonograph Companion Vol. II, The Columbia Disc Graphophone and the Grafonola (note that the 25H was a later version of the BN):

George P.

bn001.thumb.jpg.e900f951492157ba00d2ceb9b322fa51.jpg

bn002.thumb.jpg.bb1ef2cfe9a01a99b56b68fa120028d3.jpg

Wow! You guys are amazing! I'm envious of your knowledge and am so appreciative of both of your insight. Thank you for taking the time to respond and share this information. My needles arrive on Friday and I've picked up Louis Armstrong's Weatherbird (which Gerald & Sara Murphy named their boat after back in the 1920's.) The anticipation is killing me to see how this baby sounds.  

• Like 1

Which label is the Armstrong record? Generally speaking, I assume you know that records produced after the onset of electrical recordings used different media compounds, and some can be damaged by using a heavy tonearm and steel needle that was designed for the earlier, and more durable "shellac" compound records.

After WWII, some 78 records were becoming produced using a form of vinyl, to be played with lighter tonearms and more or less modern cartridges and stylii.

Also I'll assume you know the "one needle, one side" rule of changing the needle for every record side played? 

I'd hate to see you damage an especially rare and loved recording. Btw, I'm not a record collector and know little about specific artists, titles, and recordings.

Great question! The disc is a 78 RPM Shellac on Columbia listed number 36375 A11. It has "Monday Date" on one side and "Weatherbird" on the other. It was purchased on Ebay (below) as a first record to test on the machine. I am aware of the requirement for "one needle, on side." and needing to change the needle after every record side played. I don't yet know how to operate the machine, but assumed I can find a "how to" somewhere on Youtube. Additionally, I think that I may be missing a screw that holds the needle in place. If you look at the photo of the reproducer, it looks like there should be a screw in that whole that I believe helps hold the needle in. If so, I'll need to find that somewhere online for purchase. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304349371740?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Once again, Fran has made a good point in that your "Microphone-label" Columbia record (ca. 1940s) is not entirely compatible with your Columbia BN/25H.  It can be played on that machine, but it will be LOUD and there will be distortion during some passages.  Armstrong's trumpet will surely overdrive the capacity of your machine's diaphragm, which will result in premature record wear.  If you want to preserve this record, you should not play it on the BN/25H more than a few times.  So much for the bad news.

The good news is that acoustically-recorded 78 rpm discs appropriate for your machine are plentiful and cheap.  Local thrift stores may have boxes of them, and if there are collectors in your locale, chances are you can get boxes of 78s for nothing.  You might want to share your general location here and try your luck.

There are also upcoming antique phonograph/record shows where you can buy 78s for far less than you paid for the Armstrong disc.  In April there's a show in Wayne, NJ.  In June there's a show outside of Chicago.  In August there's another show outside of Los Angeles.  Then there's another show in Wayne NJ in October.  There are wonderful opportunities to obtain whatever you're looking for and meet others with similar interests who can help you.

Finally, if you need a needle screw for your BN's sound box, you can get one here:

Brian Parlier
The Phonograph Shop
https://www.facebook.com/ThePhonographShop/

www.thephonographshop.com

brian@thephonographshop.com

Thanks so much! I've reach out to Brian to obtain clarity on the part that I need to order for my 25H. 

Additionally, I appreciate the clarity regarding the types of records that I should be seeking. I'm based in Sarasota, FL so I'll start by seeking out records on Facebook Marketplace and local thrift shops. I would love to attend one of the record show's later this year if I can make it work. What's the best way for me to find out about any related events that might be taking place in Florida?