Name that Victrola part

Fuzzyman

I recently acquired a Victrola VV-IX in working condition and not bad cosmetically.

I noticed that a small trim plate is missing under the stop/start control on the turntable. I’m unable to find it on a parts diagram or determine the proper name for the part. Any ideas what it is called? 

Thank you!

If you can post a picture of the playing compartment of your Victrola IX (there were several variations), someone may have the part you need.

George P.

Images attached. I just got this so apologies in advance for being a newbie.

I assumed that some kind of trim plate was missing because I can see a couple of nail holes and an outline where it looks like there was something. But every video and picture I’ve seen shows nothing there. 

Thanks!

93742A12-524C-4C5F-945D-21758E43E92C.jpeg

B3136D15-7557-46FE-B539-3CFF44064F79.jpeg

63BD1D75-3C2E-4A14-8BCA-55C7F645A29A.jpeg

F8E1E7A0-0049-4D98-9D9A-07095E1C6737.jpeg

Edited by Fuzzyman

Fuzzy,

There's no need to apologize for being a newbie - we all were at one point.  Helping newbies is one of our main jobs here!

I was puzzled by a couple of things in your top picture, which shows the playing compartment.  The turntable does not appear to be a Victor product, and the speed control (which appears to be lying loosely alongside) is a common aftermarket design.  The outline of the missing trim plate strongly suggests a Murray style speed regulator/indicator (see picture below), but not with a turntable brake mounted above it.  The data plate shows conclusively that someone has combined parts on this Victrola, as the VV-IX was a table model rather than the upright shown in your bottom picture. 

The cabinet of your Victrola is that of a VV-X, or possibly a slightly later VV-80 or 90 (they're virtually identical). 

I suspect if you removed the turntable, we might find one or two extra holes, and possibly an extra hole on the right side of the cabinet, which would be a sure sign of a different motor being installed.  These marriages were rather common in the days when parts were unavailable and people wanted to make their talking machines operational again - especially during the Depression of the 1930s. 

Anyway, here is a page from The Victor Data Book, by Robert Baumbach, showing some of the designs Victor employed for brakes, speed regulators, and indicators over the years.  (Note that there are several variations of the Murray style indicator not shown.)   If you're interested in obtaining one of these Murray style plates, you should contact George Vollema at:

http://www.victroladoctor.com/

Feel free to post additional pictures with your turntable removed.

George P.

indicator001.thumb.jpg.636e24bf4ec8d1429806dfd4ac848fe6.jpg

Thank you! I thought it might be a bit of a Frankenstein because my research showed the same thing about the serial number belonging to a tabletop model. But I just assumed I might be wrong or looking in the wrong places. Also, the trim for the crank supports your theory. It’s odd but it does the job.

E2662370-E37F-4DA7-84BB-E1B50FE8D3B0.jpeg

Fuzzy,

You're very welcome. 

"Frankenphones" are not without their merits.  They can provide excellent learning platforms to hone your mechanical, sound box rebuilding, and refinishing skills.  Mistakes made on these machines will not be costly.  In addition, as long as the motor and sound path are functional, you can enjoy period recordings just as well as you might on a rare model worth thousands.

That said, it would be a good idea to position the sound box in the center of the turntable for a measurement.  A needle in the chuck should ideally touch the spindle or come within about a quarter-inch one way or the other.  This will minimize record wear.  Sometimes the addition of a non-original motor will result in the turntable being too far or too close to the needle of the sound box.  This will cause rapid wear to records.

George P.

Ouch, I’m eyeballing the distance of the needle to the spindle at 1/3 to 1/2 inch.

Also, some revealing pictures. 

FE74D9F7-6298-4108-800B-535B4129904E.jpeg

4F860D7A-5F76-4EB6-BC23-16549455B957.jpeg

Edited by Fuzzyman

Well, the good news is that Brunswick made outstanding motors!  Those I've had have been whisper-quiet.

More good news: you can probably obtain the original style motor for this machine for around $25.  Roughly where are you located?

George P.

On 3/8/2022 at 8:47 PM, phonogfp said:

Fuzzy,

You're very welcome. 

"Frankenphones" are not without their merits.  They can provide excellent learning platforms to hone your mechanical, sound box rebuilding, and refinishing skills.  Mistakes made on these machines will not be costly.  In addition, as long as the motor and sound path are functional, you can enjoy period recordings just as well as you might on a rare model worth thousands.

That said, it would be a good idea to position the sound box in the center of the turntable for a measurement.  A needle in the chuck should ideally touch the spindle or come within about a quarter-inch one way or the other.  This will minimize record wear.  Sometimes the addition of a non-original motor will result in the turntable being too far or too close to the needle of the sound box.  This will cause rapid wear to records.

George P.

While I keep my eyes open for a new motor, I was thinking about another solution. Did the taper tubes (or the whole arm assembly) come in different lengths over the years? If I could fit one that is slightly longer, that would mitigate the wear issue for now.

Fuzzy,

Were you contacted by the fellow in New Hampshire?

Yes, the Victor/Victrola tone arms were manufactured in various lengths over the years for different models.  Here's a guy who can almost certainly help you with that:

George Vollema: http://www.victroladoctor.com/

Good luck - -

George P.