Help, please. What should we do with our Brunswick Ultona?

mhelm8886

Hello to All! 

I joined up because we have a problem and are seeking advice. The problem is this Brunswick Ultona phonograph player sitting in the living room. It's been in the family for four generations, it doesn't function, and there's quite a few old phonographs stored in it. It's time to get it out of the house, but we're not sure about the best way to go about it.

• If we try to sell it, then what's it worth in its current condition?
  • Is it worthwhile to restore it? Can it be restored? What would be the restored value?
  • If we try to donate it, then who would want it? Would it have to be restored before any potential donee would want it?
  • Should we just list on Craigslist as "free" and give it to whomever would come and haul it away?

Wondering what the knowledgeable people of this Forum would advise. I thank you in advance for your time and expertise.

(Sorry, but some of the photos uploaded rotated 1/4 turn clockwise. I don't know why))

phonograph 4a.jpg

phonograph 5a.jpg

phonograph 6a.jpg

phonograph 7a.jpg

phonograph 8a.jpg

phonograph 9a.jpg

phonograph 1.jpg

Where are you located?  In it's current (non-working) condition it should be worth $2-250, but may be difficult to find a buyer for a large upright machine that does not work.  It can definitely be restored, but can be expensive, if you don't know how to do it.  The machine is relatively common, so won't attract seasoned collectors, but may be interesting to new ones.  If you really just want it gone, "free" usually works.  Most records are not worth much - $.50-$1.00, but will be hard to sell separately, so leave them to whoever gets the machine.  Hope this helps.

Curt

audiophile102

Inheriting a phonograph that has been in the family for four generations is not something to give up on simply because it doesn't work.  Even if you don't want to take the time and effort to repair it, another family member down the line might.  Appreciating your family history might not be easy for you, but later descendants could find your preservation of a family treasure more valuable than you can imagine.  You might get enough money for the sale to buy dinner at restaurant, but giving up an heirloom so cheaply might in the end only give you heart burn.  

Thank you both for your responses!

To audiophile201, thanks for presenting the preservationist perspective. We are neither unaware of nor insensitive to that point of view. In fact, we've inherited quite a few older possessions that we appreciate. And this phonograph has been displayed in our living room for years because we appreciate it. But we are moving and downsizing to a dwelling that's less than half of the size of our current one. So now need to pick and choose. Sadly, in all likelihood, the phonograph won't make the cut because of the amount of floorspace it requires.

To CurtA, we are in Denver metro. And yes, thanks again, the information you present will help quite a bit as we make a decision.

I also understand your space constraints, but isn't there someone in your family who might appreciate the family history?  

I wish I had something from my grandfather's or great-grandfather's families, but obviously their things were sold or given away long before I was interested.  At the time it was purchased, buying a phonograph was a big decision for most families and you can imagine the joy they got as their only form on entertainment, before radio and TV.   You have the opportunity to "re-live" their experiences since you even have their favorite records...  It took me until I was in my 50s to want to discover my ancestral roots and I have been at it for 20+ years and it is fascinating in a real, personal way.

Whatever you decide is obviously your choice to make, but I'm hoping you keep it for family's sake... 

It's a nice model 175 I'm sorry you can't keep it. According to the Wakeman book, the round medallion was added 1921. So, it dates between 1921-1923 as it still has the Pathé insert. In its current condition it's likely around $200, being oak makes it a little more collectable than the average mahogany.  It'll probably need a broken spring fixed costing around $100 if you send it off, but It'll need the reproducer rebuilt (Gaskets replaced.) and the tonearm oiled (The Ultona is dropping down further than usually making me think the stop pin broke off, which is common with the pot metal tonearm.) Though the question is how long it'll sit before it sells.  Fully restored I'd say around $400 if you're selling it yourself, though that's not a retail value. 

As someone who works in the museum industry if you really want to donate it, I'd suggest a local museum or archives. Most museums and archives will except anything of historical interest whether it's working.  Anyone would be thrilled to get it, even if you listed it on craigslist.