Rebuilding Thorens Excelda Soundbox

vjuliano

Hi,

I have a new-to-me Thorens Excelda and would like to / need to rebuild the soundbox.  I am having some trouble finding out much of anything about this soundbox, or any source of parts for it.  The soundbox does not say anything on it except for 'FAB, SUISSE      Switzerland'  It seems most Exceldas came with this one.  I have included an image with the same type soundbox. 

Does anyone have any more information that could assist me in my search for parts to rebuild it? 

The diaphragm is metal and is dented.  The isolator is rusted and loose, and the washer behind it is broken.  I would really like to get it sounding nice again.

Thank you

$_32.JPG

• 2 months later...

It obviously comes apart by removing the 4 screws on the face of the reproducer.  The dented diaphragm can be un-dented by using something that is not sharp and pressing the dents out.  Normal Victor gasket material should work for replacing the old hardened stuff around the diaphragm.  It may be impossible to find an exact replacement diaphragm, so straightening the old one is probably your best option.  

Please post a picture of the isolator and washer you are referring to, as parts for Exceldas are not being reproduced to my knowledge.  These machines are more of a novelty and not very useful to play records on, that is unless you are in a trench or foxhole during the war...