OKeh - I funerali di Enrico Caruso a Napoli 1921

melvind

In my continuing quest to find things to do during the pandemic I have found yet another odd and amazing OKeh record. We had the Laughing Record, then unbelievably the Crying Record. And now we have a New York studio produced 2 side 12 inch OKeh record about the funeral of Enrico Caruso in Italian. Caruso died on August 2, 1921 and his funeral was on August 4, 1921. This record was recorded August 23, 1921. I am confident it the intended audience was the large Italian population in New York that loved Caruso.

Ferruccio Corradetti made a number of recitation records for Columbia and OKeh in the teens and 1920s. In this one he and his group of performers narrate the funeral. I believe he is even the voice that is singing as if he were Titto Ruffo during the funeral service, and perhaps some others. If indeed it is him, he has a terrific baritone voice.

Below the video is a PDF document that contains the transcription and translation of the dialogue kindly done for me by Marco Gilardetti. I added the English Translation he provided as Closed Captions on the YouTube Video.

OKeh - I funerali di Enrico Caruso a Napoli 1921

DAHR Links:

Part 1https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/2000202233/S-70113-I_funerale_di_Enrico_Caruso_a_Napoli

Part 2https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/2000202234/S-70114-I_funerale_di_Enrico_Caruso_a_Napoli

Marco Gilardetti Translation.pdf

Edited by melvind

• 3 years later...
pippakenzie

The funeral of Enrico Caruso in 1921 sounds like a significant event captured on this 12-inch record. It's incredible how these historical recordings give us a glimpse into the past and the cultural significance of figures like Caruso.
Speaking of death and funerals, I recently came across Washington Headstones while searching for some information. It's interesting to explore the different aspects and rituals surrounding such events. It's always good to be prepared and informed about these matters, even if it's not the most pleasant topic.

Edited by pippakenzie