To Blacken or Not to Blacken

smoser1959

I have some UGLY brass fittings on the Victrola VV 4-7 I'm rebuilding for my sister. The needle holder is missing much of its finish, the automatic brake is mottled, and the tonearm is all scratched up, like someone took sandpaper to it (see pic).

Would it work to use something like the Birchwood Casey Brass Black Metal Finish to restore an even black color to these parts?

Ok, I know this is more radical than some would be comfortable with, but my sister's not that worried about authenticity.  After all, she's refinishing the cabinet.  She just wants it to look nice.  But I don't know if  Brass Black is the way to go.

Any thoughts?

20220111_151927.jpg

Ouch!  Yes, it appears that good old "Mr. Fixit" was at work with his sandpaper again...

I think under the circumstances, your proposal makes perfect sense.  You can even modify the depth of color if you wish by gentle rubbing with Nevr Dull, or even completely remove your newly-applied Black Brass Metal Finish if you don't like the result.

Best of luck - -

George P.

Birchwood Casey "Super Blue" cold gun bluing will work on brass, steel or other metals, so it should work on the pot metal needle cup.  It won't turn brass black, but will darken it down to an aged patina look.  On steel or most metals (not stainless) it will turn black.  It will even penetrate and darken nickel plated items with several applications...

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 10.04.30 PM.png