Tinfoil Phonographs

Tinfoilphono

Tinfoilphono

Many collectors are aware that I started researching (and collecting) tinfoil phonographs in the 1990s. It always surprised me that such a critically important era in phonograph history was covered in such a cursory manner in existing books. There was nothing that discussed the evolution of these earliest phonographs, and their great variety. To fill that void, I published my own eponymously-titled book, Tinfoil Phonographs in 2001.

Almost 20 years and 2,000 copies later, I have only a few copies left. In order to keep this information available for future collectors, I have decided to donate the digital file as well as the copyright to APS to post with the many other books available to APS members in the vast archives on the APS website.

As an unexpected bonus, when I dug out my ancient file I was pleasantly surprised to discover that many of the photos are in color (the book was printed in B&W). So the digital version is actually superior to the published copy.

Members can access the book by logging in to antiquephono.org and clicking on "Articles" and then "Book Features" in the drop-down.

In coming months I plan to add updates to the book. It's not surprising that a lot of additional information, and quite a few previously unknown machines, have been discovered in the past two decades. I will try to bring the book more up to date with additional features as time allows.

tinfoilphonographs.png

• Like 1

Tinfoilphono

Well, only partially in color, but it helps.

I regret that when I wrote this book digital photography was still in its infancy. I didn't buy my own first digital camera for a few more years, and its resolution was positively terrible. So the photos in the book are better than early digital, but they have all the weaknesses of the old film they were shot on, then scanned, and lack the sharpness we can now expect from a simple iPhone. Times sure have changed. I hope to update some things with the planned addenda page.

But I appreciate the feedback!

Not only is Rene generous enough to contribute his book to all APS members, he is exerting extra effort to add text & images and to make the book as comprehensive as possible.  A sincere THANKS To you, Rene, for this!  Although few of us will have the opportunity to own an authentic tinfoil phonograph (I'm pleased to have a Ray Phillips replica!), the era is indeed important - - and interesting.

George P.

I can't believe it's been 19 years since you printed this book Rene.  I suppose I got my copy from you at Union, that summer.  Don't remember for sure though.   I've got it right here on my bookshelf now.  Great book.

RodPickett

Be sure to watch the APS Website as Rene grants permission to host his extensive research material on Tinfoils, including material post-publication of his well known Tinfoil Phonographs book.  Data are being continually added.

After signing into your APS account, navigate to Articles/ Book Features and you will find his work and submissions at the top of the list.

There is a fabulous 1878 advertising piece that few have ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to get back into the info section of this forum.  I have been looking for a book on the first TO 7G605.   Tom