Leon Douglass

Tinfoilphono

This link was posted yesterday by the local county history society, about Leon Douglass' time in nearby San Rafael. There are a few things I didn't know, and a couple points that are questionable (notably how Victor Talking Machine Co. came to be named), but overall an interesting read. I enjoyed the small detail that he served on the Marin County Grand Jury in 1911. I served two years on the Marin GJ starting 105 years after him. 

https://medium.com/anne-t-kent-california-room-community-newsletter/inspired-inventor-community-supporter-leon-f-douglass-in-san-rafael-a2d3a34032dd

Edited by Tinfoilphono

Rene'

To think that he would have been our semi-close neighbor (and the Douglass family home was on Petaluma Avenue to boot).  What a surprise.  Very cool.

Mark

• Tinfoilphono changed the title to Leon Douglass

Not much farther down the road (Atherton, on the Peninsula) is the location of his home, now bulldozed and the home of Menlo College.  You guys should take a field trip in Rene's Beetle!

image.png.7bc655909d7cebaa967b102bc6460d41.png

The Johnson Victrola museum in Dover, DE had a live video presentation about Leon F. Douglas On November 12th. The video recording is available for viewing on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/JohnsonVictrolaMuseum/. You have to scroll down to November 12th to watch it. Unfortunately, I don't know if it's available outside Facebook.

Andreas

René

You will be receiving an article soon for possible publication in a future The Antique Phonograph.  This article, well-researched, contains compelling information regarding the choice of the word “Victor” for the Victor Talking Machine Company.

• Like 1

I have it in hand am excited about the prospect of running it in the upcoming March 2022 issue. There have been several theories bandied about for years now so it's significant to have some reliable, documented evidence for the real reason the Victor name was chosen. Stay tuned!

• Like 1