RCA Victor V225 (1941-42)

electrolaman

RCA Victor V221 with RP-151 record changer that plays both side of the records. (1941-42) It will play 10" and 12" records separately.  This is the latest period of all electric phonographs that I will collect. This instrument being introduced in October of 1941 so was a 1942 model year RCA Victor product.  Enjoy a little Anson Weeks Orchestra from 1937.

Edited by electrolaman
video format change and added text
  • Like 5

Percy_Dovetonsils

I have been looking out for one of those machines since I was about ten years old- and you found one!😲

It couldn't have found a better custodian. Nice, nice, nice!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I used to have one of these too.  Mine said it was made in Oct. 1941.   I broke a few Capitols on it when the record fell because I hadn't changed out the rock hard rubber bumpers!  Boy was it a bear to restore.  Had to send it out to a special restoration shop who took a year to get it done, and when I got it back, I still had to get my radio phono tech buddy to go through it.  If I'm not mistaken, that song is from the Paul Whiteman movie King of Jazz (1930) called "I like to do things for you", but they changed the lyrics here.  You can see the Whiteman version at about 20:10 into the movie: 

• Like 1

Many thanks for posting this link to the high-quality dub on youtube. It's a real period piece. Shows you how much tastes have changed since that time. Personally, I don't think that I could sit through the full hour and thirty-eight minutes of this without serious consequences to my health, but that's just my opinion. 

Yes, tastes in pop music culture have definitely changed.  Personally, I couldn't sit through a rock concert or rap concert today.  Even though I'm of the so called rock and drugs generation, I've never been to a rock concert or indulged in drugs.  In fact, when a friend of mine urged me to go and see the Book of Mormon, I went expecting a funny, musical.  But when the music started, suddenly I felt trapped.  I couldn't leave because I was in the middle of a row, and I had no ear plugs or tissue to block the super loud over-amplilfied sound.  I had to wait until the intermission to walk out.  I noticed that the rest of the audience seemed to enjoy it.  Shows how much I dont fit in to today's music culture.  Back then everything had to be a little dumbed down, and done in a cutesy, cutesy style.  Jazz was not considered a serious music then, although there is little or no jazz in this film.  This movie is like a memento of the distant past.  Some impressive color in this early color film too.  

You can definitely damage your hearing with loud noise! As a symphony musician, I prefer acoustic instruments, but even some of them can cause harm if you sit too close, as I did in the trombone section seated in front of four very powerful trumpet players!

That early two-strip Technicolor seems to favor greens and tans, and is weak on blues and reds. Still, it was a start. When three-strip (the standard Technicolor we know and love) came in, the full potential emerged. As with the late lamented Kodachrome, it was the best color positive transparency film ever developed (pun intended). Nothing today can equal them, IMO. 

• Like 1

The "music" of today is definitely an oxymoron...  7-11 music - seven autotune words repeated 11 times.  And then there's rap - far removed from very talented Motown artists...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With the 50 years of rap being celebrated on tv now, I see that they are promoting it as our culture of today.  I guess that's true along with people,who tattoo themselves all over.  All this from a music that celebrated gang culture, at least in the past.  I have seen some good rap lately, so I don't think it's all bad.  It blew me away when I saw some snippets of the rap Nutcracker on tv, which I thought was well done.  

• 1 month later...

I did that Curt, but that is how it appeared when I pasted it in my reply. The same thing happened on another thread. I guess I'm just not accustomed to this site yet.

• 4 months later...

I have one of these trying to get it fixed. It almost worked and I did something that screwed it up. Anyone know how to work on these?