Recording Artist Autographs

NateO

I've been meaning to share this small collection I've been working on for the last few years. I pick these up whenever I find them for a fairly cheap price, and while I can't confirm if they are authentic, I've paid so little I don't really worry about it. I'll split the images over a few posts to hopefully make this a little less cluttered. If anyone else happens to own some old autographs, it would be great to see them!

First up is Ernestine Schumann-Heink (1861-1936), who probably needs no introduction. What I find neat about her is that she generally dated her autographs, which allows for some additional research. In this case, it is signed in Fort Worth, TX during April 1926. Even though she was in the twilight of her career, evidently Schumann-Heink visiting town was still a notable affair, as evidenced by the attached newspaper articles. She was even to have thrown the first pitch at a local baseball game, but that and her concert had to be cancelled due to an "attack of laryngitis". 

Schumann-Heink1.jpg

Austin TX American-Statesman 4.19.26.jpg

Waco News-Tribune 4.15.26.jpg

• Like 1

Next up are a few different artists:

Reinald Werrenrath (1883-1953) is certainly well known, largely for his Victor recordings, but he also recorded for Edison early on in his career. He’s always been a favorite of mine, and is notable for being one of the few artists whose recordings were released on all of Victor’s label series, black, purple, blue, and finally Red Seal records!

Geoffrey O’Hara (1882-1967) is probably more well known as a composer than a singer, but he did record occasionally, including “Navajo Indian Songs” on Edison BA 2451 and a number of Victor discs in the WWI era. His most notable composition was K-K-K-Katy in 1918.

Edward Johnson (1878-1959) was a member of the Metropolitan Opera who recorded for Columbia in 1915, and then Victor from 1919-1928. Later on, he became the manager of the Metropolitan Opera. Judging by how few recordings were made and released by Victor, I would gather Mr. Johnson wasn’t a very big seller.

Margaret Young (1891-1969) made a number of recordings for Victor, but only one, “On by Jingo!” was ever released by Victor. Young went on to record for Brunswick from 1922-1925, with a number of records being released in that time frame. Interestingly, she came out of retirement in 1949 and recorded for Capitol Records.

Werrenrath.jpg

O'Hara.jpg

Johnson.jpg

Young.jpg

• Like 1

Lastly, I saved my two favorites. I would venture to guess most of us are familiar with these two names. Both men had highly successful and similar careers. They both came onto the recording scene in the early 1910s, and were remarkably prolific. In the 1920s, with the rise of dance bands, they both were ubiquitous as vocalists on these records. As their recording careers died off, they entered into radio and also found some success in that field. I value these two the most, because I own so many records by these gentlemen, and many of them I really enjoy!

Irving Kaufman (1890-1976) signed this autograph in 1938, during which time he was starring as “Lazy Dan the Minstrel Man” on CBS Radio.

Arthur Fields (1884-1953) also gave this autograph in 1938, during which time he was performing on a radio show called “Sunday Drivers”. Fields also had some skills as a songwriter, with a number of his works actually being recorded and seeing some popularity. His co-star on this radio show, Fred Hall (1898-1954) was a noted musician in his own right, as a bandleader and composer on many dime store labels. Fields frequently recorded with Hall’s bands in the late 1920s.

Kaufman.jpg

Fields and Hall.jpg

• Like 1

I have 2 Ted Lewis signed records and a Tex Beneke autograph. I also have a copy of the Weber and Fields biography signed by them both. Come to think of it I have a record from the WLS players signed by their fiddle player. Nothing that exciting, really.

Years ago I stumbled upon this card autographed by Schumann-Heink.  Looks like she spent some time in Texas during early 1926.

George P.

ESH001.jpg.6ad479c4abd879cec809b7c24afb5ff4.jpg

I'm glad you all enjoyed this small collection of mine. I just wish autographs like this were more common!

George, that is neat. She must have been on a tour out that way. It must have been quite an experience for record buyers to see and hear these famous singers in person!

I completely forgot I had this one! It's not exactly an autograph, rather a lithographed souvenir from an Edison Tone Test. 

I admittedly don't own any of her records, but Sibyl Sanderson Fagan (1895-1974) was a noted whistler. I don't know about the rest of you, but that's definitely not my listening style... I don't recall who the last surviving early recording artist was, but she must have come close, making it all the way into the mid-1970s. 

PXL_20211113_223645882.jpg

• Like 1