NEED INFO

NeedAdvice

I was given a phonograph.  I know nothing about it.  Do you have info?  How would I sell it?  What is the value of it?

Thank you in advance for you guidance.

20211103_090655.jpg

20211103_090507.jpg

20211103_090457.jpg

20211103_090450.jpg

Your Webrola phonograph falls into the category of what we collectors call "off brands" of the teens and twenties.  Starting around 1916, as many basic patents held by Victor and Columbia were expiring, enterprising businessmen were starting their own talking machine firms.  Most of the time, this involved having cabinets made up by a local furniture company or cabinet maker and ordering generic motors, tone arms, and other hardware from one of the several large companies that sprang up at around the same time.  These small off brand firms proliferated like weeds in the economic boom of the 1916-1921 period, but most quickly succumbed to the recession of the early 1920s.  There's no way of knowing how many of these small operations existed during the period, but research conducted by R.J. Wakeman suggests there were at least 450, and probably many more that couldn't afford to advertise beyond local newspapers.  Mr. Wakeman's article on "off-brand" phonographs is on our website in the "Introductory" category:

http://www.antiquephono.org/brand-talking-machines-r-j-wakeman/

The good news for owners like you is that your Webrola is undoubtedly a rare brand.  In the article I referenced above, it does not appear - - one of the many undocumented brands of that era.

The bad news is that, among off brands, "rarity is common."  There are so many of these off brands - - many undocumented - - that finding an off brand is relatively easy.  (Of course, finding a particular off brand can be almost impossible!)  Among collectors, there is only marginal interest in off brands unless the machine has something distinctive to offer, such as an unusually ornate or unusually-designed cabinet, unique mechanics, or a strange feature (one off brand used a real conch shell for a horn!).

If you plan to keep your machine and play records on it, I would highly recommend you read through the Introductory articles on our website (http://www.antiquephono.org/category/introductory/), particularly Basic Antique Phonograph Operational Tips and Collecting Antique Phonographs.  

George P.

• Thanks 1

We are going to be moving and want to sell it. Do you have any idea of the value?

Thank you so much for the indepth information and education that you have provided. 

Assuming the machine works and the crank is present, I'd hazard a value of $100-$150.  You didn't mention your location, and that will affect value.

I'd suggest posting it for sale in the "Classifieds" on this forum and be sure to mention your general location since this is not really ship-able.   If you're a Facebook user, there's also an APS Facebook Group where you could offer it:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/phonograph/

Good luck - -

George P.

• Thanks 1

The most important thing is whether it winds up and can play a record.  If it can't, then there is something wrong with the motor - a broken spring, etc. and finding repair parts may be impossible.  If it does work, that's a good sign and someone may want it to play records.  With the records that are shown and in working condition, $100-150 is a reasonable place to start.  The records are most likely common ones, so include them in the price.  Be flexible on the asking price, because most people don't have room for a large machine.

• Thanks 1

I could find very little on the Weber talking machine Co.

Webrola was trademarked in October of 1920 by Jacob H. Weber.  I tried looking up the company's address in the New York Business directory of 1921,  but it changes between 279 Broadway and 281 Broadway Brooklyn depending on the year.  I looked at the addresses in the directory/newspapers to see if there was a sign of possibly being a subsidiary, but nothing stood out. They're listed in the directory/Newspapers mainly in 1921 but again in 1926 acting as a distributor for Victor Orthophoic machines.  

I think I see a "Strand" decal under the Werola, Strand was another off-brand but with a bit more national sells. They  were a company that took advantage of  Emerson being sold in 1922 to buy up a lot of excess machines and resell them under their own brand. It looks a lot like a 1922 strand model 1, making me think it was assembled by strand, but sold through Weber for a local department/music store in Brooklyn. (Possibly since Weber later sold Victor machines they were their own music shop?) 

I echo everyone else's appraisal, not only are local off-brands a hard sell but console models have dropped in popularity.  Even fully cleaned/serviced with the records I wouldn't see it going much over $250

content.png

Untitled.png

Daily_News_Sun__Sep_18__1927_.jpg

Edited by BenL