Info on the Adler-Royal "off brand" phonograph

AntiquePhonoLoverToo

AntiquePhonoLoverToo

Hello!

Let me start by saying that I'm not a collector and know VERY little about antique phonographs, except that I LOVE their look and sound! I came across this item for sale and was wondering whether you could tell me about the quality of the Adler Royal brand (as opposed to the more well known names like Edison or Victrola). It is currently working, but should anything go wrong with it in the future, are parts difficult to find/replace on "off brands"? Additionally, the console appears to be in beautiful condition. Any recommendations as to whether it might be worth the asking price of $150? If not, what would a reasonable price be? I have included photos below. 

Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Since as the author of this thread (and new to the forum), I can't figure out how to add a comment without editing the original inquiry, my update is below.

UPDATE:

Thanks so much for the information! It is VERY helpful.

According to the seller, the phonograph is extremely heavy, like the weight of a small organ, about 300 - 400 lbs. To move it into their home it required piano movers. Since I live about 90 minutes from the seller, by the time I ascertained a way to safely transport the phonograph, it was sold.

I guess it was an extremely good deal. It broke my heart...

On the up side, thanks to you I 've learned much more about these beautiful pieces. Thanks so much once again.

562948908_IMG_5001(2).thumb.PNG.cfca6ed68355b65fa65063b176e0dfed.PNG511690378_IMG_5002(2).thumb.PNG.f776209cc241685b9e87131566330c9f.PNG1756083696_IMG_5003(2).thumb.PNG.fa1e153cb624c80045df115e356655e2.PNG1935487903_IMG_4999(2).thumb.PNG.6ba400c1b6e7b74a3a609060a8c8fc48.PNG 

Edited by AntiquePhonoLoverToo

That looks like a beautiful, high-grade walnut cabinet.  I especially like the grille with the bird on a feeder - most unusual and artistic. 

Parts for off-brands are usually easy to find since the vast majority used components from the same handful of companies.  I think $150 for this Adler is a VERY fair price - provided it runs.  A broken mainspring will add about $50 to your expenditure.  That said, you will want to clean/lubricate the motor and rebuild the sound box (the part that holds the needle).  These are simple, straightforward chores that we can help you with.

George P.

I'm with George.  The machine itself may not be museum quality.  But the cabinet is beautiful - looks like original finish.  So buy it, get it working and then enjoy it!

Adler was a successful regional Piano/Organ manufacturer out of Kentucky, their biggest organ brand Beckwith was sold through Sears. 

It looks like a model 90 from around 1924-1925, Adler along with Starr were two of the biggest off-brands to use the gooseneck patent when it expired for victor.

I think $150 isn't bad if everything works, it's just sad to say off-brands aren't as collectable/desirable as there main brand counterparts. I've seen some museum quality top the line art class off brands barely even make it over $400 before. 

The_Courier_Journal_Sun__Oct_12__1924_.jpg

Edited by BenL
Image was too big
  • Like 1