Most impressive gramophone to you

zawmbbeh

What is the most impressive sounding gramophone you've ever seen? I'm new to this all and I'd love to know all there is to know about gramophones. Are there gramophones with a balanced or warm sound?

The most impressive sounding gramophone to me has to be the Auxetophone. I know, later orthophonic machines and of course EMG and Expert gramophones may have a better sound quality, but these were from the 1920s and 1930s. An Auxetophone from as early as 1906, amplified by compressed air just blows your socks off.

JMO

Andreas

48 minutes ago, alang said:

The most impressive sounding gramophone to me has to be the Auxetophone. I know, later orthophonic machines and of course EMG and Expert gramophones may have a better sound quality, but these were from the 1920s and 1930s. An Auxetophone from as early as 1906, amplified by compressed air just blows your socks off.

JMO

Andreas

woah!! yeah for 1906 that's kickin' it! the only other machine i'd guess to be as loud as that at the time would be machines capable of Pathé Concert discs. (120 rpm, 50 cm)

The Pathe Concert gets the prize for sonic quality, hands down.  But for sheer volume, the Auxie takes the cake. 

I think an honorable mention is due the Higham mechanical amplifier in the Columbia BC.  Usually, these have gone out of adjustment, resulting in reduced volume and/or distortion.  Properly tweaked, they are also pretty astonishing.  That said, they don't come close in volume to either of the above machines and you should not use them to play precious  cylinders. 

My 2 cents!

"I'm new to this all and I'd love to know all there is to know about gramophones."

Gee, I've been collecting for 54 years, coauthored 8 books on the subject have over 125 articles published, and I too would like to know all there is about the field!  The more you learn, the more you recognize how much more there is...  I'm forever a student.

If you haven't yet discovered them, there are a number of free articles on the APS website which are helpful to newcomers:

https://www.antiquephono.org/category/introductory/

Have fun!

George P.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2021 at 8:20 AM, phonogfp said:

"I'm new to this all and I'd love to know all there is to know about gramophones."

Gee, I've been collecting for 54 years, coauthored 8 books on the subject have over 125 articles published, and I too would like to know all there is about the field!  The more you learn, the more you recognize how much more there is...  I'm forever a student.

If you haven't yet discovered them, there are a number of free articles on the APS website which are helpful to newcomers:

https://www.antiquephono.org/category/introductory/

Have fun!

George P.

Oh wowie!! thank you so so much! I'll definitely check this out 😮

• 2 weeks later...