The Victor "Rigid Arm": "On This Day in Phonographic History..."

phonogfp

"On This Day in Phonographic History..."

December 24, 1902: Eldridge Johnson and William Moore filed for a U.S. patent on the tubular tone arm that had begun appearing on Victor Talking Machines in October 1902. This was the “Rigid Arm,” which removed the weight of the horn and earlier traveling arm from the record.

October 25, 1904: Eldridge Johnson and William Moore were granted U.S. patent (No.773,290).

#antiquephonographsociety #phonograph #gramophone #antique

1196625309_JohnsonandMoore773290RigidArm.thumb.png.162f511271a82b4f16a375515e1df83c.png

• Like 3

This patent certainly marked a real turning point in disc phonograph design and technology rendering the future of the front mount machines obsolete. I didn't take long for significant improvements to be made.

1310504430_VictorRigidArmAd-LR.thumb.jpg.e58169fc705a92d70ef1e498f8645897.jpg

Rigid Arm MS-LR.jpg

Victor Rigid Arm E-LR.jpg

20210213_104925-1-LR.jpg

• Like 2

Nice to see different examples. I only have one machine with a rigid arm but one of my favorites. When I bought it I'm not sure I even noticed the arm. I had no internet yet when I bought it so could not look it up. At the time it was my most expensive machine at $950.00 but so happy I spent the money on this machine with a pre dog Victor data plate. I knew nothing about that either. 

rigid arm work (6).JPG

• Like 2

That looks like my rigid arm "M", which I unfortunately traded away for a 15" Symphonion disc music box.  You have some great machines, Neil.

• Like 1