Decal finish

Mainspring

Mainspring

I almost feel foolish posting this here for such a seasoned bunch of collectors but someone might get some use out of it. I recently acquired a totally roached, rusted, and filthy Edison Standard Model B, originally for parts but I decided to restore because the challenge was great and I love a Herculean task. The case required stripping, so once that was done, sanded, stained, and finish applied (3 coats of clear spray l like the look), I ordered the decal from Greg Cline. The first picture shows the decal applied. It is tight to the wood but shiny. The second image shows the same decal after a final coat of the spray lacquer. The shine is gone and the decal looks like it belongs there. The final coat of finish seals the decal in place and makes it form to the wood even better. I apologize for the difference in lighting temperature but you get the idea.

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

• Like 5

Tinfoilphono

Amber shellac also works well as a finish coat since it tones down the gold of the decal and gives it a more 'vintage' appearance.

decal-before-after.png

• Like 4

Neilvanstem

Where does one buy this amber shellac? Does it come in cans? Quarts? Gallons? More information please. I think I could use it on one or two of my decals. Neil

Tinfoilphono

My local Ace Hardware sells it in cans of varying sizes. I buy small ones since shellac has a somewhat limited shelf life.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 9:43 AM, Neilvanstem said:

Where does one buy this amber shellac? Does it come in cans? Quarts? Gallons? More information please. I think I could use it on one or two of my decals. Neil

Neil,

I buy it in a spray can for ease and smoothness of application.