Edison A-275 & A-290 Grills

Valecnik

I'm sure most of you have wondered about this for many years. Now it's confirmed. The A-275 and A-290 grills are not interchangeable. In addition to the obvious differences visible in the pic, the thickness and design of the top and bottom lips make it impossible to interchange the grills without some alterations.

IMG_1415.jpg

Bruce, thank goodness this question has finally been answered!?

I suspect that the difference is because the A 290 was built by only one cabinet factory (perhaps Aimone or Bartos?), while the A/B 275 cabinet was built by several.  Now I'll be losing sleep wondering if the grilles of an A 290 and an A 275 built by the same company are interchangeable!

George P.

1 hour ago, phonogfp said:

Bruce, thank goodness this question has finally been answered!?

I suspect that the difference is because the A 290 was built by only one cabinet factory (perhaps Aimone or Bartos?), while the A/B 275 cabinet was built by several.  Now I'll be losing sleep wondering if the grilles of an A 290 and an A 275 built by the same company are interchangeable!

George P.

That would make sense George.  Still one would think the specifications would be precise enough to allow for dual usage.   The 290 has a few other odd characteristcs.  The two that come to mind are nothing stamped on the bedplate, where normally there should be serial no-A1 or serial no-A290 and more strangely, the lid cannot be closed while the tonearm is in the raised position.  There's not enough clearance.  Go figure...

48 minutes ago, Valecnik said:

The 290 has a few other odd characteristcs.  The two that come to mind are nothing stamped on the bedplate, where normally there should be serial no-A1 or serial no-A290 and more strangely, the lid cannot be closed while the tonearm is in the raised position.  There's not enough clearance.  Go figure...

Wow - that is strange.  Surely the lid was not intended to be left open when the machine was not being played!

On 6/8/2021 at 7:34 PM, phonogfp said:

Wow - that is strange.  Surely the lid was not intended to be left open when the machine was not being played!

You can close the lid if the tone arm is swung all the way to the right but only if the mechanism is in the lowered position.  The bedplate sets about 1/8 inch higher in the cabinet than on the 275 and that's enough to create a problem.  There is no evidence anything has been fiddled with.  I'm quite sure it's been that way since day 1.