Question regarding age and value - Edison Disc Phonograph Serial 1146

sdreeves

I inherited this from a family friend.  She told me it belong to her grandparents or even her great-grandparents.  The disc are not in great shape, but the phonograph is in working condition with some of the original paperwork. Thanks in advance! 

3.thumb.jpg.da8d0555af1e75591fd5d225bac269ea.jpgunnamed.thumb.jpg.c628b4d17ef99bf76951fda4352014a5.jpg4.thumb.jpg.117e97816bf2349fb4d311b11864bde2.jpg2.thumb.jpg.d9b1090145b1b1340a5e6f8b7cff2482.jpg1.thumb.jpg.7dd3db26ee6cbe1336b03dc603cf65a3.jpg

Your machine is an Edisonic "Beethoven," one of two Edisonic models introduced very late in the life of the Edison Phonograph.  The packing slip date code suggests that this Beethoven was packed on October 21, 1927.

The paper labels of Edison Disc Records are prone to coming off - - especially when kept in the index files like those in a Beethoven.  I'll bet there are several labels lying at the bottom of those record files.

Congratulations!  The Beethoven is a nice machine, and rather uncommon as well.

George P.

Congratulations on acquiring your new "Beethoven"! I hope you enjoy using it, and perhaps even further explore the hobby we all love. I have been recording information related to many various Edison Diamond Disc Phonograph models for several years, and would be grateful if you could participate in my survey I maintain at the Talking Machine Forum (it may, however, be confusing as you're a new member of our community, and may have limited knowledge of the specific info I request). You need not register an account there if you don't wish to join the forum and take my survey, but nonetheless, I'd appreciate your participation here if that's okay.

Would you please take a few photos of the turntable compartment, and of any reproducers/sound boxes and/or other accessories that may be present, so that I can examine your Beethoven further?

I'd be happy to answer any questions related to my questionnaire if needed.

Cheers,

Fran

Good morning, I've actually had it for almost 7 years. It downsizing and trying to determine which of my many antique pieces are worth holding onto. I will upload additional photos later today. 

Thank you both for your assistance! 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

From what I can see, your Beethoven seems to be in good unrestored shape.  I think you have a fairly low serial number of 1146.  Mine is 1200 and I thought I had a low number.  But both of our Beethovens came out the first year of 1927 and were made until 1929.  And there is a smaller model called the Schubert.  These models were introduced in 1927 to coincide with the first Edison Diamond Disc electric records.  Many people ask why was this model called a Beethoven?  What is Beethovenish about it?  Other than the BN in the model plate, there is no wording on the machine itself calling it a Beethoven.  So the name, as well as the Schubert were primarily advertising names.   It does have a decal calling it "The Edisonic" though to differentiate it from the older New Edisons.   1927 was the first centennial of Beethoven's death, which was celebrated that year.  Columbia in fact recorded all nine of Beethoven's symphonies that year complete!  Ironically, there is very little Beethoven on Edison records.  Edison was just beginning to offer complete classical works over multiple records when they shut the record manufacturing side of the business down in November, 1929.   They are very fine phonographs and should come with an Edisonic reproducer.  There is a controversy about the Edisonic machines as regards to sound quality.  Do they sound any better than the Official Laboratory Models of the past?  I've played a rebuilt Edisonic reproducer on both types of machines and it's hard to say because they both sound great.  I have heard Bob Prochko say the older OLMs have a deeper bass, and the Edisonics have a brighter treble.  The primary difference is in the shape of the horns.  The OLMs have a fairly short neck leading to a large oblong shaped horn.  The Edisonics have a much longer neck leading to a roundish smaller sized horn low on the cabinet.  I would like to hear Wyatt Markus' description of how and why they designed the Edisonic machines the way they did.  

No one seems brave enough to talk about value, but I'll take a stab.  I bought mine about eight years ago for $1200.  Mine was in good condition and came with a Long Play mechanism and a NOS LP reproducer still in the cradle.  But since that time, prices have dropped on large floor model phonographs.  So my guess on value would be about six to eight hundred dollars today if it comes with an Edisonic reproducer in good condition and the motor is in good condition, and the cabinet has no major flaws.  

• Like 1