Belclear Phonograph Cabinet - Good Buy?

pbrennan

At a local antique shop in Denver I found a working (pretty good condition - some wood scratches/chips) Belclear Hand Crank Phonograph Cabinet.  There seems to be very little information on this manufacturer from Manhattan, New York. I believe they only made one model in 1919. The cost is $325. Does that seem like a good price?

Without at least a photo, it's impossible to intelligently answer.

If this Belclear is a typical off-brand of the late 'teens/early 20s, the price may be too high (see the article on off-brands here):

https://www.antiquephono.org/brand-talking-machines-r-j-wakeman/

If the machine is unusual in some way, the price could be a bargain.  Again, a photo would help a lot.

George P.

MikeSherman

Echoing George, while the machine may be quite rare, so is a potential buyer.  Value is a function of supply AND demand.  And if demand is lacking, rarity doesn't mean a whole lot.  A photo would help, but the typical off-brand from that period is not worth $325 to very many collectors – particularly with scratches and chips.  I would say $150 - $200 would be a (generous) top end, unless there is something quite unique or unusual about it.