"Coon Song" on Lioret Cylinder

Tinfoilphono

Tinfoilphono

This is one of my favorites -- an American 'Coon Song' issued on a French Lioret #2 cylinder (playing about 1 minute). According to Lioret historian and author Julien Anton, this was cataloged in 1896. Aside from the astonishing fact that Lioret was molding fairly loud cylinders of unbreakable celluloid while Edison and Columbia were years away from abandoning soft brown wax, it is exceptionally unusually to find an American title in Lioret's list. Although he did sell records in several languages, those were vastly outnumbered by French titles. Lioret had a fair market in England, but none in the US. So although English Lioret cylinders are relatively scarce, it's downright rare to find an American title. And a very familiar 'Coon Song' at that! I acquired this from Ray Phillips 20 years ago.

IMG-5224.JPG

RodPickett

This is a very nice example.  Are you aware of a discography for these cylinders somewhere?  Public domain or purchaxe?

Tinfoilphono

I don't think there are any discographies. Julien Anton wrote a comprehensive book on Lioret and his phonographs but didn't do an equally comprehensive summary on the records. He is very willing to share information, however.

I'm not sure it's complete, but there is a great listing of Lioret cylinders in this excellent reprint by Jalal Aro at phonogallerie.

IMG_2685.JPG

• Like 1

RodPickett

Thanks for posting this too.  I have a few cylinders but no reference.   I'll look at the site.

Tinfoilphono

Julien Anton's website has a large collection of Lioret catalogs available to view, including the record list of 1896:

https://www.phonorama.fr/catalogues-lioret.html

"Little Alabama Coon" does indeed show in the 1896 catalog as #24 under English selections. I also have #20, which is noted as a No. 1 cylinder (30 seconds long), "Daisy Belle" (better known as 'A Bicycle Built for Two').