Daniel Higham and the BC Graphophone: "On This Day in Phonographic History..."

phonogfp

April 25, 1901: Daniel Higham filed for a U.S. patent for a “Phonic Apparatus.”  This mechanical amplifier would eventually be manufactured as the reproducers for the “BC” and “BM” Graphophones; the loudest cylinder talking machines of their day.

July 16, 1901: Daniel Higham was granted a U.S. patent (No.678,566) for a “Phonic Apparatus.”

#antiquephonographsociety #phonograph #gramophone #antique

1056688759_HighamBCGrapho.thumb.JPG.646819183c1f601e52ca07134971f14f.JPG

BC1.thumb.jpg.df436c7865f656b9d586d45f3344fedd.jpg

BC2.thumb.JPG.16a6713ea84b22e8ca96ee6bd7f9e29c.JPG

Video of a Type BC in Operation:

• Like 1

Thank you, Dan - - you're kind to a fault.  The video is pretty rough, but I'm hoping to improve with experience.  I also could use some good video editing software!  Hopefully the operation of the Higham reproducer and some idea of the volume came through, despite the amateurish production.

Well, thank you Rene. 

BCs are wonderful machines.  I really like the look of them.  When I brought this one home in 2002, it wasn't as pretty as it is now, but all I could see was its potential.  I deposited it on a footstool in our living room, exclaiming to Barbie, "Isn't it beautiful?"  The poor woman - perhaps fearing that I wanted to install it somewhere in that room - replied, "It's horrible!"