A How to Question

KiltedTailor

KiltedTailor

Readers;  Here is a question for those who have done this work--along with my Idea, for a view of its merits--

Now, I have taken off the metal turntable to my 1925 Victrola to see about the HOW to get the wooden panel that holds the motor in place; free from the machine.  The two screws are apparent and easy.  But the real problem; there is no way to lift the wooden panel with the motor attached, from the cabinet. There are no handles, and there is no room to place two fingers in the hole in the wooden panel{which I did with the first player} to lift it that way.   My Thought-- is to unscrew the motor mount bolts- JUST A SMALL AMOUNT-- to allow me to slip some paracord loops around the heads and lift it thus.  I envy the owner of a Brunswick{I think it was} record player in a photo I saw, his wooden platform was HINGED and had the prop rod on the side. A great Idea, that!

So  what is the Accepted Method to get the wooden plate and motor free of the cabinet?  All thoughts and views are asked

There should be a motor board lift knob, or at least a hole for one, they are frequently missing. It usually sits in the front left corner but as I don't know what machine you speak of I can't say with any certainty. If the knob is missing, best effort with no destruction is optimal. That board may be on hinges of a sort so the front may lift but the back may not come straight up. You will need to slide it off the pins. Make sure you get any brake mechanism swung out of the way as well so it doesn't get bent. Good luck.

KiltedTailor

"Mainspring" First up; Thank you, you have it correct at all points. The player is the 02nd one I wrote of on this site.  AND YES! there is a nice, factory made HOLE where the knob should be!  Thank you for the tips on getting this off; it APPEARS, after looking at it after reading this--- that the 'back' is just a lip where  the  lid will sit{ I looked with a magnifier and the knowledge of a furniture maker.} I will have to take the tone arm off as well, the lid will not clear it otherwise.

So, what I shall do,  come near the time of its servicing, is to use the bolt heads and para-cord trick to lift the deck. Once it is out; I will then ADD a cabinet knob, in plain brass, to the lid and where it is drilled for and missing.

I LIKE the advice 'best effort with no destruction'!

After thought; would it violate all the "Laws of Victrolas" if i made a 02nd hole on the RIGHT side, so I can then pick the wooden deck up equally the next time?  I am fairly sure that if this were "Nippers' favorite machine and his paw print was on it" it would not be advised.  But this is a level two, garden variety machine that will never be worth '06 figures of$.'

AGAIN-- MY THANKS FOR THIS INFORMATION