Wax Cylinder Storage and Protection

DrFoley

Hey guys!

I have inherited an Edison Phonograph Home Edition Model 'B' that plays the cylinder wax records.

Along with it, I received about 50 wax cylinder records. Unfortunately, they were all stored out of the box and loose without spindles in a Herzog 712 cabinet. I have been keeping them cool and dry in a plastic container while I was overseas and they are still in good condition. However, I am home now and want to actually enjoy what I have. 

So, what is the best way to take care of and protect these cylinders ..when .. 

1) do not have the original containers anymore.

2) You do not have spindles in a cabinet made for the cylinders.

3) You cannot justify spending $20 for a professional historical archive container for each individual record. 

I have been thinking about making something myself and I would love some thoughts from this group. 

Any advice? 

Thanks,

Shawn 

Hello Shawn, and welcome to the APS Forum!

If you still have your Herzog 712 cabinet minus its pegs, you can purchase new replacement cardboard pegs for a nominal fee.  I haven't bought any for about 10 years, so I'm a little rusty on current prices, but I'm confident that someone else here can direct you.  I believe the 712 has 6 drawers holding 35 records each for a total of 210. 

Feel free to post pictures of your Home Model B and the cabinet!

George P.

@phonogfp - thanks. I did a quick search this morning and couldn't find anything. So, any help on who might sell those and/or how to rebuild them by hand would be helpful.

I will absolutely post some pictures once I have the unit in tip-top shape. I am currently replacing the handle and horn connector. 

Thanks!!

20 minutes ago, Mainspring said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/221936607869
these are the ones I bought a while back and they worked great.

Thank you.

I wish the picture showed one in use. 

Does the record sit over the top or is it stored inside this cylinder/peg?

I assume that the material used will not attract mold in the case it got damp. Is that correct?

I am also hoping that the peg can stand upright on a shelf or cabinet. I imagine the cylinder record sits either over the top or stored inside (guessing it sits over the top since it is a peg) ..and the peg provides enough stability to ensure the cylinder doesn't fall over or hit other cylinders when drawers are opened and closed. Is that pretty much the idea?

Thanks again!!

20 minutes ago, DrFoley said:

Thank you.

I wish the picture showed one in use. 

Does the record sit over the top or is it stored inside this cylinder/peg?

I assume that the material used will not attract mold in the case it got damp. Is that correct?

I am also hoping that the peg can stand upright on a shelf or cabinet. I imagine the cylinder record sits either over the top or stored inside (guessing it sits over the top since it is a peg) ..and the peg provides enough stability to ensure the cylinder doesn't fall over or hit other cylinders when drawers are opened and closed. Is that pretty much the idea?

Thanks again!!

The cylinder goes over the peg. You can also make heavier pegs from closet rod if so inclined.

43 minutes ago, Mainspring said:

The cylinder goes over the peg. You can also make heavier pegs from closet rod if so inclined.

Excellent .This has been really helpful - thank you!

I took out some of the cylinders and it looks like I actually have some of those same replacement pegs and some originals. So, I can see now how they work. 

In reality, I don't think I like the cabinet. LOL. When you pull the drawer out the cylinders can just fall over. No good for anybody. I have to think this through a bit more and figure out how to secure them better. It may be a shelf or document box is better? I need a solution where when I open and shut the drawer the cylinders don't wobble so much.

Have you ever tried securing or gluing the pegs to the base of the drawer to secure everything a bit better?

Tinfoilphono

Typically there is a circular groove routed into the base of the drawer, into which the pegs are glued. For sure, they must be secured in place to keep the cylinders separated and prevent them from moving. 

11 minutes ago, Tinfoilphono said:

Typically there is a circular groove routed into the base of the drawer, into which the pegs are glued. For sure, they must be secured in place to keep the cylinders separated and prevent them from moving. 

Excellent - I just ordered them. 

What is the best way to secure them - since this is an antique, I want to be a bit more mindful than just going in and super gluing everything. LOL. Any advice there? 

Thanks again for all your help!!

3 hours ago, DrFoley said:

Excellent - I just ordered them. 

What is the best way to secure them - since this is an antique, I want to be a bit more mindful than just going in and super gluing everything. LOL. Any advice there? 

Thanks again for all your help!!

Elmers will work. Hide glue was likely the originally glue. If you have grooves routed for the pegs you will likely need to clean them out. Be careful. Hardened hide glue creates shards that can cut you. I used a small screwdriver to gently pry out the old glue.

29 minutes ago, Mainspring said:

Elmers will work. Hide glue was likely the originally glue. If you have grooves routed for the pegs you will likely need to clean them out. Be careful. Hardened hide glue creates shards that can cut you. I used a small screwdriver to gently pry out the old glue.

Absolutely and thank you!!

This has been really helpful ..I am happy this group exists and grateful to be a member!!