Schedule to oil/lube the motor parts

KiltedTailor

KiltedTailor

{to the Mods-- if this be the wrong place for this, kindly more it to?}  Readers; OK newbie query {and I did NOT find it in 'search']  How often does the Victrola motor need to be take out, oiled, greased and or ???  I would GUESS it depends on how often its used, let us posit, 'average use'.  Any thoughts and or views are welcomed

17 hours ago, KiltedTailor said:

{to the Mods-- if this be the wrong place for this, kindly more it to?}  Readers; OK newbie query {and I did NOT find it in 'search']  How often does the Victrola motor need to be take out, oiled, greased and or ???  I would GUESS it depends on how often its used, let us posit, 'average use'.  Any thoughts and or views are welcomed

Since nobody has jumped on this one, I will offer my opinion.  In your lifetime, removal should only be needed once if nothing breaks. I say once because once it is cleaned and properly lubed it could run for years with no issues. However, I find Edison oil cups to be thirsty on diamond disc machines, meaning you may need to refill them from time to time but a Victor motor is well made and would likely run for many years with no problems. It really depends on how it gets wound. IOW, don't tell your ham-fisted friend to wind it if he is likely to over wind it and break the spring. Some oils will dry out so make sure to use a good light weight oil like sewing  machine oil. All told, once the motor is re-done and happy you should have no further need to remove it... unless you are a tinkerer and can't help yourself. Someone will likely offer other advice on this topic.

KiltedTailor

"Mainspring"-- Thank you for this useful information.  Given this advice, would you agree that the 02nd  Victrola I have which has not been serviced since circa 1925 and used but little, should have the motor pulled, the lube job, and put back in?

Absolutely! After close to 100 years the motor and all other mechanical parts should be dismantled, properly cleaned and lubricated appropriately. The tonearm bearings should also be cleaned and lubricated and the reproducer should be serviced as well. I would clean and wax the case as well. Then you will have little to no maintenance going forward, Maybe a few drops of sewing machine oil on the governor shaft and other points as recommended by the oiling diagram, but even that probably once in a blue moon. With heavy daily use maybe a bit more often, but don't over do it, otherwise you will end up with a large greasy mess like many of the old machines are when you find them.

Andreas

KiltedTailor

And Back!  Thank you for the USEFUL INFORMATION!!  Since the Operative Word is DISMANTLED, I will wait till the shop I have line up to fix my first machine with worn bearings and or bushings{ I think it so} has a opening for more work in the Summer, and rather than give him ONE motor, drop two motors on him to freshen  up.  I say 'drop"[as in leave off} as he is but two hours drive from me in Vermont.

As to the case of the 02nd machine, YES, I did give that one a good cleaning and waxing with a Beeswax, linseed & etc compound. The Polish was also a Beeswax product-- NO petro-chemicls on this wood . It went from looking like the black top in a parking lot, to a 'like new' sheen, and slick enough that you can toss a coin on the lids and watch it skate across the off the other side. And it smells Wonderfully.  The 02nd machine is in good running and sounding order.  Of course, I have been buying the records for it, and enjoying the music.

Again THANK YOU

Neilvanstem

Holy, I oil/grease when I am in the mood.  When I gets to it. I use white lithium grease so can easily tell if I've been there before! So then just oil the brake pad and governor if needed. Works for me! Neil

KiltedTailor
21 hours ago, Tinfoilphono said:

Great work! I'd love to see pictures.

A request for a Photo of the cleaned and happy wood work is happily given. Enjoy

0403212006-00.jpg

KiltedTailor

Readers: In the matter of cleaning the motor-- I just had the turn table off the record player, and shined a flashlight beam into the small opening for the shaft. It looks like someone has brushed a herd of Highland Cows and then stuffed all the fur into the motor!  Yet it still plays-- BUT it is on schedule to be CLEANED come summer