OK, so I bought a 02nd Victor machine w/radio------

KiltedTailor

KiltedTailor

Readers:  OK, call me nuts, I just brought home a 02nd record player, circa 1925, by Victor, with the Eismann Radio. YES, photos and the like are now over due--BUT----Who knows where I can find information on such things as a modern battery to use, where to get tubes-- the whole pancake- for this radio.

Any help is appreciated

It’s not as simple as just adding a battery. There are certain components that have to be checked and/or replaced, as well as the tubes being correct and tested as fully operational… If you send us a picture, as well as any brand information, model numbers etc. that will be a good start.  I don’t know of any factory collaborations between Victor and F-E, so you may have an aftermarket radio module. There were several that were marketed for folks to convert existing phonos to combination players. 

KiltedTailor

PeterF;   This is useful;  I had hoped it was just 'a battery and an antenna'.  So, some photos are next in order.  I did find one site on the radio brand that told me the Eisman radio people made about 100 radios for Victor- so it seems they were an option. The model I have with the radio was also sold with a wooden cover over the radio place.  YES, I need to get busy with photos!

Thank you

KiltedTailor

Readers:  This writer was peging thru Maine/Craigslist and happened on this machine.  And for no apparent reason, it found its way home to my house. Its a Victor VV-S-215    533 with the Freed Eisman radio and head phones.  The player works, the radio is not working, but APPEARS intact.  By some basic search, I find this is 'one up' from the base model. And it has the option of the radio, the non radio players had a wood panel over the open spot where the radio is. By an Eisman website; it seems circa 100 radios were made for Victor.

The wood finish was the standard, coal black, crinkled UGLY dirty 'finish'. I used "Skidmores" Restoration Cream{beeswax and etc} and some of the waterless hand cleaner method to clean the wood parts. Then the cabinet was finished by "Skidmores Woodworking Finish".  Now, I can see the wood grain, it looks far and away better, and it smells GREAT.

The motor functions, but I will soon have it out to 'oil the needed places with "Tri Flow" dry lube and high tech grease.  By the reports of the last two owners, it has never been serviced!  But it cranks well, turns well and without adverse noise.  The sound quality is amazing, frankly.  Last, it has the 'high tech' device you place on a record, and the sound is transmitted to the radio speakers or the head sets.

So here are the photos, with apologies for the 'dime store flip 'phone camera!'   ANY news, comments, Ideas, sources, people or repair places is WELCOMED and SOUGHT!

0403211950-00.jpg

0403211951-00.jpg

0403211953-00.jpg

0403211953-01.jpg

0403211954-00.jpg

0403211956-00.jpg

0329211737-00.jpg

In the early 1920s all commercial radios were battery operated. By 1925 RCA had an AC "plug-in" set, the Radiola 30, as did several other companies, for those who had the luxury of electricity in their homes. Two or three separate batteries were needed to power these radios- the A battery for low voltage, the B battery for higher voltage, and sometimes the C battery to regulate the flow of electrons from the filament to the plate. The newer battery radios eliminated the need for the C battery. A schematic of the set will tell what voltage is needed. A good source of information on these batteries is antiqueradio.org. Once there just go to "Building" then "Battery Radio Power Supply". It goes through the history and shows how modern batteries can be used. There is also a link to Antique Electronic Supply which has tubes and other parts. The ARBE company makes the ARBE lll battery eliminator where you just plug it in and connect the correct A, B, C voltages, but it is $159.95 + shipping.  These sets are a little tricky since each set may require a different voltage for A, B, C battery operation. I would suggest looking for an antique radio collector in your area who can test the tubes and tell you the condition of the set. I would not do anything electrical to the set on my own. There are antique radio clubs around the county that would also be good resources. I included a photo of an A and C from the 1920s from my radio collection. You have a very nice antique entertainment center. Hope this helps.

20210404_182525.jpg

• Like 1

The photo is actually a B & C battery. I'd also look for a radio club around the country instead of the county. Sorry.

KiltedTailor

Richard Lee- Readers;  THANK YOU!  A place to begin, at last!  And some VERY USEFUL information. And YES, I have sent forth via the Internet, for a local radio repair man of this ear, no luck yet.  And you are SO Correct, I would NOT even begin to try ANYTHING electrical with this machine.

And my thanks, also, for the kind words on my entertainment center.  It may be of the common sort, to you of the Community, but to my house guests, its a relic from another world.  And the Victrola seems happy and contented sitting under my window, pretending to be a table, till music is wanted.

I THINK I may have a photo of the 'paper wiring diagram' on the back of the radio. I will search about for it. IF I have it m it will be posted here

THANK YOU! 

KiltedTailor

Richard Lee-----"Murphy" must be asleep, I found the images of the 'wiring diagram' for want of a better term.  I add them here for your pleasure. IF you can offer more insight, I welcome such news.

Thanks

0330211701-01.jpg

0330211701-00.jpg

0330211702-00.jpg