New Member/Canadian Machine/ first disassembly

KiltedTailor

KiltedTailor

Readers: Please see my First Post on the Victor Machine I have.  Taking the kind advice of two respondents: I got out my "Grace" brand screwdrivers, and begin some basic disassembly. First up, the 'tone arm" {?not the right word, I think}. Four tight screws out and it lifts away with easy. The assembly has no holes nor visible damage. I got More than Lucky; the TINY 'pin' that comes down from the top of the 'back angle support' I actually FOUND! It will not stay in place, however. The whole thing will go to the Pros listed, for an overhaul. But to a layman eye, all looks to be in good shape.

Next, get the motor out.  OK. the directions say, 'remove the turntable'-check, at it came out with easy. Next, 'remove 04 screws' check, and some odd 'ring washers' Then 'use the knob to lift the entire wooden plate and motor- "Houston, I have a problem".  There was no magic 'lift knob, but a nice hole where it might have been. So I placed a few fingers in the cut out in the wooden plate where the spindle goes up and thru, and picked the HEAVY beast out of the cabinet. UGGH! Not something I want to do every day.

In doing all this I find the following, ANY THOUGHTS, IDEAS, OR JUST ANYTHING THAT COMES TO MIND HERE- please write ! Part of the grinding noise was the 01 inch stub of a pencil with a metal erase sleeve, dragging against the spindle! Once I took pliers to get it out, the machine unwound the spring. I THINK the bearings{if there be such in here}are worn out. I still had a small unhappy noise from the motor as it unwound. By holding and wiggling the spindle, I could change the pitch of the sound, or stop it briefly. The motor, as you see, is greasy, but SEEMS intact, save the 'stop lever' does not work. I could find no broken gears, nor apparent missing parts to it.  And I did take a few minutes to just look at the simple genius of the system! If we could make an auto that way-never mind, no profit in that for the auto makers.

Also, the 'tone arm' appears to be brass, its non magnetic. About 06 gallons of elbow grease and the whole 'arm' shines like gold.  The aluminum 'wafer' in the 'head' seems very intact. I also read the device has magnets and other goodies in it-- so away it goes to One Who Knows to be fixed aright.  The sound horn is magnetic 'pot metal' More curious, where the sound horn meets the cabinet under the 'tone arm' it APPEARS that there is some sort of brown Bakelite material inside it. Inside the sound horn is covered with white/tan lumps. But that 'collar' shows as magnetic, unless the Bakelite is very thin. I also note the cabinet  interior below the motor is in fine shape. They even cut a groove for the motor bracket to sit in, to take the weight off the wooden lid.

So, next stop, Repair Shops.  For the Readers, here is a selection of Photos for your thoughts, comments or?

0319211306-00.jpg

0319211307-00.jpg

0319211310-00.jpg

0319211310-01.jpg

0319211311-00.jpg

0319211312-00.jpg

0319211312-01.jpg

0319211317-00.jpg

0319211318-00.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You said, "About 06 gallons of elbow grease and the whole 'arm' shines like gold."

My question is why?  The tonearm is supposed to have an antique bronze finish.  Did you really strip off the factory finish?  If so, that was a huge mistake, similar to slapping a coat of pastel paint on the cabinet.?

• Sad 2