New Member w/ his First Phonograph

KiltedTailor

KiltedTailor

Readers: An Introduction and machine history is first. To begin, I own a early 19th Century House, my grand daughter calls it "GrandPas' Museum".  My next door neighbors had a flood in their house & hired a crew to 'clean up the mess'. The Lady of the House, got to the crew as they were carrying a gramophone to dumpster. She called "HALT'" and had it put in her truck.  From there it showed up at my door. The neighbors thought my house would 'like an old record player".  Gift Given--Gift Taken.

So, a post 1925 Canadian Victor gramophone sits happy and waiting to be fixed and played. In short description, it is a HEAVY mahogany? with black lacquerer finish cabinet, the size of a small end table. It has the two doors for the 'speaker', with the original grill cloth intact. The Interior is near perfect. The machine is from Canada, see the poor excuse for photos. It runs but it 'grinds' when it turns.

Now the questions, 01} after I take out the 04 screws, and lift the turn table, how do I get the wooden cover off the motor?  It LOOKS like the brass speed adjustment device is screwed to the wood work{see the photo of the interior, the dial is marked with blue tape], and the motor?? 02}. You will note the tone arm is broken. IF I unscrew the tone arm, and  separate the two parts, do I just need one LONG screw to put it to working condition --OR??--?  03] Most Important, can anyone point me to Source Material on this, so I can learn of it-- and any repair shops for the motor, in the New England, {USA} area, for any repairs??  Sure, by the videos I have seen 'its easy". The videos do NOT know this 'mechanical challenged' writer of this story!!

So, here are the photos for your Curiosity-- ANY comments or help is asked by this New member.

0308210949-00.jpg

0308210949-01.jpg

0308210950-00.jpg

0308210951-00.jpg

audiophile102

Congratulations on acquiring an unusual and interesting orthophonic Victor Victrola.  Read about it here.  http://victor-victrola.com/Alvera.htm  There are many resources available to help you with repairs and here is a link to a list of repair services and parts.  https://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195

Edited by audiophile102
Repair links
  • Like 1

Hello Tailor,

As a preface I would recommend that if you are truly "mechanically challenged," tackle only the suggestions below and leave the actual fixing to someone experienced in this sort of thing.  There's no shame in this - - it can often save you much time, trouble, and expense in the long run.

1)  You didn't mention whether your machine's motor is spring-driven or electric.  In either event, you don't need to remove "the wooden cover" from the motor.  The motor is mounted to that wooden motor board.  Simply remove the screws located at the corners of the motor board.  If your motor is spring driven, be sure to remove the crank.  Once those screws are out, the entire motor board can be lifted up and out of the cabinet.  If your motor is electric, you will need to unplug the cord connecting the motor to the cabinet's interior. 

For spring motor service in the New England region, I'd recommend contacting:

Ron Sitko
56 Church Hill Road.
Waterford NY 12188
Telephone (518) 371-8549
(No web address.  Call weeknights after 7pm Eastern.)

For an electric motor, Ron may be able to help, but if not he can direct you.

2)  The bracket that supports your machine's tone arm is cracked and broken.  This is a common problem with Victrolas of this vintage, but Ron (referenced above) has these replacement brackets available.

3) Your sound box (the part that holds the needle) was made from the same pot metal as the tone arm bracket, and it too looks like it needs attention.  The best guy for these Orthophonic sound boxes is Wyatt Markus:

restorationarts@gmail.com

Wyatt's not cheap, but he can resurrect sound boxes that others cannot.  Best of all, he will not ruin it.

Best of luck!

George P.

• Like 1

KiltedTailor

To Both Kind Respondents -- My thanks for the fine advice and place to read and places to fix.  For all- the machine is hand crank.   This is a FINE first start to getting the machine back in working order.  For 'Wyatt" I think  I will peg him an email, and get the needed replacement parts or ???? is needed. I very much like and understand the phrase 'Best of all, he will not ruin it". I have peg around antique items, and know and understand the Thought behind the phrase.

And YES, I have the sense to know when I am over my head with a Project {I will NOT say how long it took to learn this Skill!} so the repairs are left to the Pro.  He is is welcome to my money to fix it correctly the FIRST time.

NOW! I am off to reading and research.

KiltedTailor
On 3/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, audiophile102 said:

Congratulations on acquiring an unusual and interesting orthophonic Victor Victrola.  Read about it here.  http://victor-victrola.com/Alvera.htm  There are many resources available to help you with repairs and here is a link to a list of repair services and parts.  https://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=195

A HUGE thank you is in order to you personally for this information. I have spent the last hour or so just reading and taking now my 03page of notes on the machine. "Unusual and Interesting" is but half a thought. The site is just 'acres' of information. I found out why the machine 'grinds' when it plays. What I learned there will, without any debate, cause me to send the motor to a Real Repair Man to Fix. Springs under tension-- Oh Boy, do I recall 'springs under tension' from my Army days, with the .45 "Grease Gun' weapon!

I also submitted the details of my machine to the website data base, to help with the knowledge to and for all future readers.

S0  again I say---THANK YOU---- for taking a moment to offer this place to begin