Is Howards Restor-a-Finish safe to use with a decal?

johnsky

I have an Edison Triumph with an already worn decal, and I would like to use Howard's Restor-a-Finish on the case, but I'd like to know if this might damage the decal. Can anyone give me any advice? Thanks.

John,

I have never used Howard's Restore-a-finish, but I did a quick online search.  The company describes its product as having "...just the right amount of solvent..."  It sounds like the product might re-amalgamate the finish, which could destroy a decal unprotected by an intact finish coat.  

Post a picture of your decal and perhaps there is a better approach for your Triumph.

George P.

I can tell you that if you follow the instructions and use steel wool, it will flake the decal. Even using a rag alone will still cause loose decal bits to come off on the rag. In my experience it has never dissolved a finish but will definitely even out the color. I like their products but decals and even some painted metal name plates, like on a Pathe, can be damaged by their product.

Here is a picture of the decal.

IMG-7772.thumb.JPG.c5bf5d7742acd918325ba33ce4a56b48.JPG

So it sounds like I should not even try a gentle wiping of restor-a-finish with a rag?

John

On 3/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, johnsky said:

...So it sounds like I should not even try a gentle wiping of restor-a-finish with a rag?

John

You can expect some minor loss, yes. I have never seen it take one off completely

Auxetophone

I’ll just put this out there:

I never use Restore-a-Finish on my machines no matter how poor the finish. Some of the ingredients include petroleum distillates, alcohol, acetone, butanone, xylene, and asphaltum. None of these are great for old finishes, and very likely damaging to decals. Your Triumph finish doesn’t look that bad to me (without seeing the entire machine) and the decal is well within the acceptable range in my opinion. 

I would highly recommend starting with a less aggressive treatment, you may be surprised. My standard procedure on new acquisitions is as follows:

1) Clean with several applications of New Life Furniture Masque (available from their website). I usually work around the decal and leave it on for several minutes before wiping off. You can apply it to the decal area but make sure to wipe it off in about 30 seconds or so - I’ve never had any decal loss this way. I usually repeat this step until the black gunk stops coming off.

2) Allow finish to dry for several weeks, it will be tacky for a while.

3) When dry, apply generous coat of Howard’s Feed-n-Wax (available pretty much everywhere.) Let it soak in for a few hours and wipe away the excess. 

4) Allow oils from the Howard’s Feed-n-Wax to absorb and dry for another couple of weeks, then give it another wipe down with a soft cloth to remove any remaining excess product. 

5) Optional: If you want the finish to have a nice shine and to help seal it a bit, apply some Renaissance Wax (available on Amazon.) Usually a very light coat is applied, and once dry it is buffed with a soft cloth. I mostly use this on mahogany or walnut finishes, but you can apply it to oak as well.

THANK YOU phonogfp, Mainspring, Auxetophone, and Neilvanstem all for the advice and information! Much appreciated. The case is actually not in bad shape, so I'll see, so I think I'll wait and consider my options. I have a few machines (and a paneled oak horn) that I've never cleaned up, so this is all good info for me.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out which model of Triumph this is, so maybe I'l start another thread and post a few pictures ...

• 4 weeks later...
KiltedTailor

Or for another option, use the "Skidmores' Beeswax polish and or the Restoration cream. Neither have any petro chemicals {which I THINK the Renaissance wax has in it} To see how it works, look at my photos posted here, of its use on my Victrola. "Skid mores' is sold on Ebay

It's very difficult to clean over or around a decal and very few could tackle your banner decal with a satisfactory result.  Personally, I'd leave it as it is.  It's way better than average.