My new Edison C-19

davidahead

I acquired this a couple months ago and thought I would share it with everyone. 

I was told that it was one of a few custom walnut cabinets.  ( I know that most are oak or maple) I’m not a connoisseur of fine woods so I have no way of knowing if this is correct. Maybe somebody on this site can tell from the pictures. 

Anyway... I’m very proud of it and enjoy showing it off to anybody that wants to hear it play. 

4D7401A3-68B2-4793-8E05-9522DE9E2A00.jpeg

CDECB41A-9FDF-4514-A6DE-27DA9CA0C831.jpeg

56739A27-2C79-4A34-BC93-8D8DE5A4974E.jpeg

54E3D104-5409-47E9-B56D-31C39A8D665A.jpeg

640E90E4-F582-4F27-A47F-10015F739CFE.jpeg

8A28D193-9DD0-41CF-A14A-28FAC930CB40.jpeg

C8B569EF-3295-4894-A493-BAAD3D9274C0.jpeg

260734DA-0436-4C3B-A32F-41DB22B75BE7.jpeg

• Like 1

That is a very pretty machine.  It certainly does not look like oak or mahogany.  The storage door certainly looks like it could be walnut.  Whatever the wood, it is a nice looking machine.  Congratulations!

Wow - I don't recall ever seeing a C19 in walnut, but that's certainly what it looks like!  Typically, these models were available only in oak or mahogany (never maple as far as I know).  The serial number of this one places it in the summer of 1922:

https://www.antiquephono.org/edison-c-250-and-c-19-monthly-production-estimates-1915-1925-pdf/

Coincidentally (or maybe not), we sometimes see Victrolas in walnut cabinets from this same general period, which suggests this species was became more widely available at this time. 

In any event, it's a lovely example!

Thanks for sharing it - -

George P.

Stunning! Of all the many Chippendales I've observed, this is the 1st walnut cabinet I've seen.

Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous and unusual C 19 with us!

EDIT: I have a couple of requests if you have the time:

1) Can you share a photo of the "Official Laboratory Model" medallion found on the left front corner of the turntable compartment trim piece?

2) On the inside of the horn compartment (grille needs to be removed), on the right side of the cabinet there should be a "Factory No." paper label, can you share a photo of it?

3) Can you remove the turntable and take a photo of the motor's governor? It's visible through one of the openings in the motor plate.

Cheers,

Fran

Edited by Fran604g
Added requests

Thank you very much! As for contributing to the ongoing data collection, my original post can be found at the Talking Machine Forum following this Link. For the sake of not ending up with a number of duplicated re-entries here, I've decided to leave my original work there for the time being. My sincere apologies to members here. 

Best regards,

Fran

53 minutes ago, davidahead said:

Fran,

Do the new pictures add any more  insight to my phonograph?

Actually , no, the features of your C 19 are typical except for the veneer. There were several different cabinet factories used for production, but I've found no comprehensive accounting as to which "Factory No." is associated with a specific production facility. I keep track of the various stickers in this Talking Machine Forum post in the hope that one day the different Edison cabinet factory identities/locations can be ascertained. 

As a member of the Antique Phonograph Society, our enormous library is available for your browsing. If you'd like to learn much more about the history of the  Edison Chippendale Upright Diamond Disc Phonograph, a 4-part series of articles titled "The Edison Chippendale C 250 and Its Successor: the C 19" was featured in The Antique Phonograph (TAP) from Dec. 2015 - Sept. 2016. You'll find lots of great stuff in our library, and this is only one small drop of water in an ocean of information pertaining to all things talking machine!

Cheers,

Fran

I can recommend that 4-part series of articles on "The Edison Chippendale C 250 and its Successor: the C 19."  These article were written by Fran, and were the result of his diligent research and the cooperation of many collectors.  There is no better source of information on the Edison Chippendales than these articles, period.

George P.