What kind of Victrola do I have please?

Lakes98

Hi everyone! I'm new here and this is the only place I feel comfortable asking some questions to those way more knowledgeable.  The attached photos are a family heirloom that got passed on to me from my folks many years ago. It took me a long time searching the net to even find a photo that matched mine. 'Supposedly' this is a extremely rare version of the Victrola. That being said, I'd like those of you who know to please chime in. It does have a dent in the outside elbow at the end of the horn. It's been there forever, long before I received it.  As I said earlier I've had it for many years however now I have to downsize and will no longer have a place for it to call home. I will be selling it and preferably to someone who can restore it to it's original magnificence or at least treasure it like I have. Everyone who has seen it asks the same questions, is that real?, does it work?, will you play a record on it? and of course I do.

It works although a new needle would help I'm sure. Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks!

01-IMG_0832-HR.jpg

02-IMG_0830-HR.jpg

03-IMG_0831-HR.jpg

04-IMG_0701-HR.jpg

05-IMG_0719-HR.jpg

06-IMG_0705-HR.jpg

07-IMG_0702-HR.jpg

08-IMG_0703-HR.jpg

09-IMG_0704-HR.jpg

10-IMG_0706-HR.jpg

11-IMG_0707-HR.jpg

12-IMG_0708-HR.jpg

13-IMG_0711-HR.jpg

14-IMG_0710-HR.jpg

15-IMG_0712-HR.jpg

16-IMG_0713-HR.jpg

Edited by Lakes98
spelling error

• Lakes98 changed the title to What kind of Victrola do I have please?

Your machine is not a Victrola at all (Victrolas have internal horns hidden in the cabinet), but a Victor VI (Roman numeral for 6).  The Victor VI was the most expensive of the Victor external-horn machines (excepting the Auxetophone, which is an entirely different animal).  "Rare" is a subjective term, but among collectors, the Victor VI is not rare.  There is usually one or more at every major phonograph show - - sometimes a half-dozen.  That said, the VI was the top-of-the-line Victor and many collectors feel they must have one, so there is usually a demand.  

Your Victrola VI is unrestored, which is good because no one has botched its restoration.  However, an unrestored example will naturally not be as valuable as a properly-restored machine.  Your Victor VI's original sound box (the part that holds the needle) was replaced by an aftermarket sound box - - probably by the owner in the 1920s who wanted to play newer electrically-recorded discs.  The original crank is also missing, and it appears the motor's winding shaft has been modified to accommodate the substitute crank.  If this modification has not permanently damaged the motor, the only problem for a serious collector will be finding a proper replacement crank.

By the way, the steel needles used in machines like this were/are designed to be used ONCE, and then replaced with a new needle.  Fortunatrly, new steel needles are readily available at nominal cost.

Your Victor VI is eminently restorable, and a desirable machine for many collectors.  Just be aware that the problems I mentioned above, along with the dented elbow you pointed out, plus the holes drilled in the cabinet and missing crank escutcheon will adversely affect its value.

Best of luck,

George P.

George,

Thank you very much for your response and all of the issues you pointed out. What do you feel would be the best way to go about selling this? The classifieds here? I'm clueless on the subject of value or worth. The saying goes that it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I'm in the St. Louis, MO area if that makes any difference at all. Thanks again for your time nd knowledge.

Bo

Bo,

You may review the APS Public Price Guide:

Public_Price_Guide

This guide, when used in conjunction with the Condition Descriptors, can give you a "ball-park" estimate for your personal use.

Yes, the Classifieds Section of this site would be a good avenue for you to pursue.

A nice machine is the simple answer to what do you have here. I certainly would not mind finding one under the Christmas tree some day! Neil